Playstation Network announces anime partnerships

chaos

The Boss
<b>Playstation Network</b> announced partnership with several anime companies for the distribution of anime. the list of partners includes:<i> Anime Network, Media Blasters, Right Stuf's Nozomi Entertainment, Starz Media's Manga Entertainment, Toei Animation, Viz Media and WEP. FUNimation Entertainment</i> will also be a part of a new anime category on the video delivery service.
Animes confirmed so far are <b>Anime Network's</b> <i>Appleseed</i>, <b>Starz Media Manga Entertainment's</b> <i>Dead Space.</i> <b>Toei Animation's</b> <i>Fist of the North Star,</i><b> Viz Media's</b> <i>Naruto, Bleach and Death Note</i>.

So this is going to be a buy and download to keep thing, right?

Finally. Screw legal streaming, this is the way to go.

I'll keep buying physical products, but I'm aware their days are probably numbered - Especially in the fast approaching age of superfast broadband and solid state storage.

Legal downloads are the only thing which can actually offer an alternative to fansubs - Provided they can get them up fast enough after the original airing. I imagine that eventually they'll have legals subs ready to go when the episodes air in Japan, and will go to online release almost instantly - That's what I'd be working towards to beat the fansubbers. And it will certainly make it cheaper and easier for companies to get the product to the consumer.

Streams are poor quality and a waste of bandwidth. I don't want to have to wait for something to load every time I want to watch it, which is why I'd still rather download fansubs than watch legal streams.

ayase said:
Streams are poor quality and a waste of bandwidth. I don't want to have to wait for something to load every time I want to watch it, which is why I'd still rather download fansubs than watch legal streams.
Naughty, naughty ;)

Streams are quality-limited at the source. I can only think that this is to avoid people dl the stream and upload it to torrent sites. Waht I think is pointless, becasue people will still do it.

I think they should have the stream in high quality and add proper ads inserts (same as broadcast would have).
This way, people will continue to dl, create torrents for it, etc, but at least their sponsors will have the desired exposure. Nothing keeps people from editing those, I know, but I still think this would be a better deal for them.

As for superfast broadband, the only issue I can think of is the cost of the infrastructure, as the technology is here already for a while. About 5 years ago, my brother in law told me of his 100M broadband plan in Japan, that costs him about 50 dollars.

chaos said:
ayase said:
Naughty, naughty ;)

Streams are quality-limited at the source. I can only think that this is to avoid people dl the stream and upload it to torrent sites. Waht I think is pointless, becasue people will still do it.

I think they should have the stream in high quality and add proper ads inserts (same as broadcast would have).
This way, people will continue to dl, create torrents for it, etc, but at least their sponsors will have the desired exposure. Nothing keeps people from editing those, I know, but I still think this would be a better deal for them.
This would be better than nothing - But it's the same deal for me with non-anime TV shows as well. I'd rather buy the DVD's than have to sit through the endless adverts with +++Volume compared to the programme, which wastes an extra 15 minutes of my life every hour (probably more now) and has me reaching for the mute button every time. This is a consumer society after all, so just sell us the product. I've completely tuned out from adverts anyway - I don't think it will be long before everybody does. They've oversaturated the market so much no-one pays attention anymore. I have Adblock on Firefox and I mute the adverts on TV... They clearly aren't working on me.

I just want to be able to legally purchase programmes I want to watch, in high quality as soon after they have aired as possible. Even if that meant paying more to make up for lost advertising revenue. Hell, I'd pay to watch TV without adverts (and I do. BBC FTW). On a related note I've never seen the point of paying for TV with more adverts (Sky anyone?). No wonder Rupert Murdoch is so wealthy and powerful... He can make consumers buy a product which the advertisers are paying for as well. :lol:

I don't watch any television at all. I end up buying / renting any shows I wanna see. I only dl stuff I can't get any other way.
I end up buying provided is was released in a language I have a good understanding - unfortunately, japanese is not one of them.

Television means nothing to me. I dislike the concept of a nationalised Licence Fee, and seldom find anything worth watching as it is.
If legal streaming can up the bandwidth, it could do well. Alas, internet speeds improve faster than regionalised business models though...

sweet, anime on my PS3 would be cool, this is good, as i can soon watch Sky on my 360 aswell, my consoles are now providing me with more entertainment than ever, yay!

Back