Pencils for drawing manga

ssxpro

Completely Average High School Student
Ola! I just bought a book about manga drawing as I thought it'd be good fun to try, but it occurs to me that I have no proper pencils and other bits and bobs. So, tomorrow I'll probably head down to town and try to pick up a few useful tools. However, I was hoping for some advice on which ones do the job best.

I mostly intend to do little pencil drawings, then either leave them as they are, colour them on paper, or scan them and digitally ink them. I was guessing that a reasonably hard fine pencil would be best, but I'm clueless. Any help would be really appreciated!
________
Herbalaire Vaporizer Review

Well as for pencils I normally work with a B, fine ledded pencils are better for detail then acutal full drawings, you may also find that the led is easily breakable. HB pencils are good for rough sketches as they are unlikely to smudge as much.
Then I use a mix of pens normaly an S,M,B and F to line them before scanning them in.
If you where thinking about coloring your drawings the pencils I normaly use are WHSmiths sets. They have a very good selection of colors, the led is hard to break and they blend together really well. I also find watercolor pencils work well too.
Faber Castel's range would be a good place to start =3

yeah a b is best really but i wouldn't go above a 2b not for sketching anyway and i personnally like machinical pencils, a lot of people don't but they are easy to use, don't need sharpening and give you a good fine line but for scanning you'll have to go over them with a good pen anyway. Make sure you get a good eraser too it's easily overlooked but cheap ones are horrible.

Thanks!

Brilliant! That's really helpful, thanks both! I might pick up a few pens and pencils this weekend at WHSmiths then in preparation for the book's arrival, then start doing a few basic sketches.

Thanks again! I'm just going to jot down your advice and take it with me tomorrow!
________
Suzuki Sx4 Specifications

I tend to use mechanical pencils myself, you can swap the leads for different hardnesses very easily and I tend to find they last longer than normal pencils since they require no sharping.

mr-brett said:
Make sure you get a good eraser too it's easily overlooked but cheap ones are horrible.

Hai thats very true, never go for a red one unless you have tried it first. They tend to leave nasty red smudges where you have rubbed.
Gum rubbers are good, but can sometimes leave oily marks on the page, again make sure you try it first.
Normal pencil rubbers can be good, as long as there clean white, not one of the wired shaped ones as there useless ^^
Try and go for a clean white one, try it before you buy it if possible =3

I'm another person who likes to use mechanical pencils. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest advantage is that they don't go blunt, so you never end up with a messy, thick line. I tend to use H or 2H leads, since they give a much finer line.

As for erasers, a putty rubber is always a good addition, since they can be shaped to erase the tiniest point.

Actually, you don't need to ink pencils before scanning them in. As long as you're using a good scanner, you just need to get the right contrast and resolution and it works fine. I never ink by hand, I do it in Photoshop. :)

hmm..i'm never too fussy about what pencil's i use for drawing, as long as they are sharp and are not to soft i am ok with it, i don't tend to ink any of my drawings..i doubt it would suit them and i don't add colour..one of the things i have never ever been good at since i dunno when. When it comes to rubbers..a big white rubber works well, or even putty rubbers.

Back