Other Good Horror Manga

I really enjoyed the early part of Parasyte, but I went right off it when the gang-leader girl took an early bath. I much prefered her to the faintly useless main love interest. I do intend to go back to it at some stage though.

It's stuck in translation hell at the moment, but one series I'd really recommend is I am a Hero, the story of delusional manga artist's assistant who is about to have a very bad day. It's not the easiest thing to get into, but if you can stick it out for the first volume (which is more bleak drama than horror), it really changes gears after that. It's probably not the most horrifying thing you'll ever read, but there's a lot of deadpan black comedy to appreciate and there's a lot of attention to detail in the art too.

Last edited by a moderator:
BlackWolf said:
Reaper gI said:
For horror manga though try the Drifting Classroom

I literally bought that just now and started reading the first three volumes today. ******* ace. It's Lord of the Flies, just more brutal. You know how in Lord of the Flies, the kids' loss of humanity a steady, incremental process? In Drifting Classroom it's like someone took a sledgehammer to the kids' moral pillar within the first couple of chapters. Everything goes mental and even the adults that get stranded with them are completely unstable.

Anything by Kazuo Umezu, I hear, is great horror.

Back