ONE TRUTH PREVAILS - AN ANIME LEGEND IS COMING TO UK CINEMAS  FOR THE FIRST TIME

Hope there's a central Scotland showing.
Hope they haven't changed one of my favourite opening songs. It's got a Ramones vibe to it.
Doubt it though, I'm sure it's changed about a million times since I'm on episode 30.

I've been considering getting into Detective Conan, but unfortunately, in terms of legal streaming, I can only start from episode 754, and going for other means for the earlier episodes (especially since it's no longer available on Crunchyroll) is more difficult than I thought. Does Detective Conan, as a series (yes, I know the movie is standalone), have an ongoing storyline preventing me from starting anywhere other than the very beginning?

Detective Conan has an ongoing story line, however only a very small number of episodes (5%?) is actually important for that plot - like those eps which introduced new characters or involved the black organisation. The rest is? Well, just crimes to solve in one or two episodes.

Detective Conan has an ongoing story line, however only a very small number of episodes (5%?) is actually important for that plot - like those eps which introduced new characters or involved the black organisation. The rest is? Well, just crimes to solve in one or two episodes.
Thanks. I'm guessing I needn't worry too much if I only focus on episodes that are currently on Crunchyroll then (from episode 754 onwards, that's if I'm unable to go with the other means for earlier episodes).

So long as you know the basic premise then you're good to go; occasionally important-looking people show up and clearly know the leads but the show knows that it's a long-running serial and doesn't ever make things too obscure. And the vast majority of stories are completely episodic (in other shows I might call them filler, but solving mysteries is kind of the point here!) I missed a couple of entire seasons due to the gap in the releases and it didn't make much difference. It helps that the main characters already had established dynamics at the start of the series anyway, and a couple of them even cross over from a completely different manga, so even if you start from the beginning you'll have a similar experience overall.

(I'll be taking my partner to see the film in the cinema and he's only seen about ten episodes in total, randomly spread throughout the series' run. He's never had any trouble getting into it.)

If you can get hold of the (sadly abandoned) disc release for the first chunk then that's a big help but I do hope that the 'lost episodes' eventually make it to Crunchyroll, since it's a fairly big problem for anyone trying to get into things and the show deserves more fans!

R

Back