Ocean Waves: Review (released next year in the UK)

Aion

Time-Traveller
I usually post my reviews/thoughts in the anime section; in my thread. In this case I've made an exception for three reasons:

1) Ocean Waves is due out next year in the UK.
2) It's the closest thing to an unknown Ghibli film.
3) I rate it highly.

To generate some interest, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a one-off review in the news section.

Obviously, I haven't watched the UK DVD, and I can't judge the video/audio of that. (What I watched was a very HQ DVD-rip, the file being over 1GB.)

One last thing: cheers to Fabio for reading through my review and pointing out a couple of silly errors, which I edited out. :)

My Review said:
Waves in the ocean. Ripples in water. Occurrences that don't impact on the world as a whole.

Ocean Waves is a story of similar impact; impacting only on three characters locked inside their own small little world. It's a story covering the journey towards adulthood of three high schoolers, where the friendship of two is damaged by the one thing besides hate that can destroy bonds - love.

Often over-looked because the legendary Hayao Miyazaki, co-founder of Studio Ghibli and the director of many highly regarded Ghibli titles, had no role in the completion of the film, it's by far the most under-watched and under-rated of the Ghibli films I've watched thus far. Ocean Waves was an attempt at giving the younger staff members of Ghibli a chance to shine - a chance to come from under the shadows of the bigger names - and shine they did, though not as brightly as they would've hoped.

y1ph3ucadfbe5zkipxu3hvj.jpg

:: Story :: -- 8.5-9/10

In a nutshell, Ocean Waves is a romance, featuring a love triangle, without any supernatural elements whatsoever being included. There are black comedy and depressing sections of the story, leading to the ending being somewhat unpredictable.

Prior to a girl called Rikako transferring from Tokyo to a high school located in a small town by the sea, Taku and Yutaka shared a close friendship; one forged at the back-end of junior high when they were the only two in their school to persist in standing against the school's decision to cancel the school trip. From then onwards, despite being in different classes, the two remained close, inside and outside of school. But Rikako changed everything. Yutaka fell in love with her at first sight, starting with when he - as the class representative - showed her around the school. Yutaka also called Taku to the school on the same day, wanting to show the new girl to his best friend, and that's when their relationship started to become troubled; when Taku also became enchanted by her beauty.

The story is a simple yet moving affair. It's almost certain to be hard-hitting for anyone who has developed feelings for someone a close friend also has feelings for. Watching Taku attempt to sustain a friendship whilst being pulled deeper and deeper into the selfish world of Rikako, it was difficult for me not to get pulled into the world of the characters. Even for those who can't relate to the struggles of the characters, like myself, it'd be an absorbing experience.

The only real story negative is that it's too short, the film only lasting for around 70 minutes. Given that Ocean Waves was a 'youth of Ghilbli' project, with a small budget (which they ended up going over), it isn't shocking that one-third of the love triangle didn't get as much time as the other two-thirds. Likewise, it isn't a shock that the story ended right when it reached the good part; when the story reached its peak. But, viewed as it is, the story has enough quality to justify the 9/10 (rounded from 8.5) score I'm awarding it.

y1pb1ionci79cuqy9nml1du.jpg

:: Characterization :: - 8.5/10

The main two characters (the two who get the most time - Taku and Rikako) are fleshed out well enough so that I was able to get an excellent understanding of their personalities. Taku is your typical nice guy, willing to help someone work through their problems without gaining anything in return, but he's also honest, being blunt where necessary. Rikako, on the other hand, is a spoilt child, blaming the break-up of her parents' marriage on her mother because she was forced to move away from Tokyo. Where as Taku shows consideration by thinking of the feelings of Yutaka, she thinks only of herself - lying to get money in order to return to Tokyo, deceiving her friend in an attempt to get her to go to Tokyo with her and many other things. But, as they say, opposites attract, and over the course of the story she starts to learn through experience.

My only issue with Rikako is that, because of the short length of the film, nearly all of it focused on her being selfish. Not enough was shown of her other side, or of her growth into a a more mature person - one not locked inside her own little world. If the film had been twenty minutes longer, with some scenes added just before and after the ending, I feel it would've improved the experience.

However, my main characterization issue doesn't lie with Rikako. The third part of the love triangle, Yutaka, quite simply didn't get anywhere near enough time for him to develop into more than a well-used plot device. Nearly all of the film focused on the developments of Taku and Rikako, Yutaka being excluded completely during the black comedy section in the middle. Yutaka being the friend of Taku and making him think twice about his feelings for Rikako made the story work, but it would've been more powerful if there had been three characters to care for rather than two.

On the whole, the characterization is very good. The realism of Rikako's personality in particular is worth noting. But I can't quite give the characterization side a 9/10 score when there could've been added development - development which would've increased my enjoyment.

y1p7lpvp5jhwog6dwvwjdpp.jpg

:: Art / Animation :: - 8.5/10

As you'd expect of a Ghibli title, Ocean Waves is pleasing visually. The animation flowed (though, with it being realistic, there wasn't any fast-paced action or the like) and there were no obvious over-budget issues that caught my eye. The only negative that springs to mind is the trademark Ghibli facial artwork, which is the same except in the cases of certain types of characters. Having watched a couple of Ghibli titles in quick succession, I've noticed how the faces are often identical. What highlighted this to me in the case of Ocean Waves was towards the end, when I noticed that one of the supporting female characters with her hair like Rikako looked just like her (I thought it was her at first.)

To be fair, I'm probably nit-picking. What matters with regards to the faces is that the characters' emotions are conveyed, and the expression side had no issues whatsoever. When Rikako was pissed off and gave Taku the 'evil eye' feared by men worldwide, she looked convincing. When Taku lost his patience with Rikako because of her selfish ways, his feelings were etched on his face. Etc, etc. On the whole, the art impressed me, and I see no reason to mark a drama down because it had no action to be animated.

snapshot20090718092027.png

:: Sound :: - 8/10

The soundtrack has a good range of songs, ranging from depressing piano tracks to uplifting tracks, and the music fitted the mood well. After finishing the film, I couldn't recall an excellent piece I wanted to listen to over and over, but I did appreciate the soundtrack after downloading and listening to it away from the film, with no pretty images to distract me. There's music that sets the mood and music that's wonderful to listen to away from what it played alongside, and the Ocean Waves soundtrack is the former.

As for the voice acting, I felt whilst watching that the voices fitted the characters well enough. Like in the case of the music, I didn't end the film with any of the voices stuck inside my brain, but I didn't end with any negative feelings about the acting.

y1pbkblovs9ne9w1qlzetqm.jpg

:: Overall :: - 9/10

To sum it up, Ocean Waves is something for anyone who can handle anime without supernatural elements distancing its story from reality. It's a must watch for fans of romance with a realistic edge.

Don't ignore it simply because of its unknown status compared to the other Ghibl titles. A lot of people go into anime to escape reality - to see something different - and I'm sure that has played a part in it being scored harshly compared to certain other Ghibli titles. It's more than worthy of a place in any Ghibli collection. Trust me when I say that Miyazaki not being involved doesn't make it any less of a film.

This is just a ramble and nowhere near the level of Aion's proper review. There are probably untagged spoilers if you're a purist about experiencing a film fresh the first time. Anyone else here seen this or want to?

I finally watched "Ocean Waves" this evening after buying it a very long time ago in Japan. The R2J has English subs like most of the Ghibli catalogue and looks great even on my huge television. It's good to see that it's finally getting a proper English release; whether it sells more than five copies remains to be seen. Those who give it a try should find it money well spent.

I'd originally bought this movie because of a very short review back in the old Animerica monthly magazine. It had a simple picture of the female lead sitting down in her swimsuit accompanied by a few throwaway lines describing the show as slow-paced. Somehow, packed in between reviews of Ranma 1/2 and whatever hyperactive Masami Obari fighting anime was popular at the time that oasis of calm caught my eye, so I resolved to pick it up. Eventually I went with the R2J DVD on a trip to Tokyo, and then never quite managed to clear an hour or so in my schedule to sit down and watch it properly.

Part of the reason for this is that I'm not the biggest Ghibli fan around. Thankfully aside from the aesthetic and production values, Ocean Waves isn't anything like the more popular Ghibli films anyway. It's more like a less flashy Shinkai movie with a lovely rustic Maison Ikkoku atmosphere. Every single cel has been laboured over lovingly to trap the viewer in the world of these three clumsy teenagers for an hour [and a bit] of escapism. The music was completely forgettable to me which presumably meant it blended in well and set the scene without getting in the way.

Although I said it was a lot like a Shinkai movie, the characters feel a lot more alive (and more hopeful) in Ocean Waves. I wasn't actually sure which of the two boys I was rooting for at all. Yutaka's mature personality and his confused emotions resonated with me, yet the perpetually earnest Taku was impossible to dislike. The main girl, Rikako, was portrayed wonderfully realistically, at the same time difficult to like yet attracting the two leads with her vulnerable, magnetic personality. Her contradictory, immature personality will probably be familiar to those who have grown up with or as a teenage girl.

I loved Yutaka's voice as well. It was perhaps a little too mature for his age, but that fit his character. It didn't bother me that his home life was never thoroughly explained.

It may be a sign I'm getting old when a lot of these slightly old fashioned, nostalgic series are moving me more than they used to. I love the way the film captured the awkward, stuttering feeling of teenagers negotiating relationships with one another without resorting to being cheesy or cutting corners. The ending wasn't sad or happy; it was optimistic.

Anecdotally I remember that there was a time when fans on forums agreed that this movie would never get a proper UK/US release due to its references to menstruation. Having actually watched it I despair; it's a single line (repeated once) that would go straight over the head of anyone who didn't know what it was about anyway, hardly the kind of debauched gorefest we should be protecting people from. I'm glad that someone with common sense has decided to take a chance and give us something a little different to enjoy.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I was only pulling your leg when I mentioned you not posting in this thread. It isn't as if everyone else bothered to do so, leaving only you left. It was just a general 'You post about feminism for 20 paragraphs, yet never post about anime... WTF!?' post, really. This thread is just a pretty good example of the lack of life of this place.

Although it would've been nice to get some feedback and have one or two say they're going to watch it after reading, I know at least Paul, whilst lurking, saw my review and added it to his MAL list. That's one person, I guess... even if I did have to draw a comment out of him. :D

People not posting in this thread doesn't really bother me. First and foremost, it was done for MAL. What bothers me is how, on MAL, after it started out with a decent score, some people went through my profile -1ing, leaving it below three far shorter reviews, the second of which having a better score despite being in Engrish. But it happens; it isn't anything new when I'm a pro WUM. People just love showing their affection; I have to accept that.

-----

Your post:

I wasn't aware Japanese DVDs included English subtitles. That's pretty cool.

I'm thinking about pre-ordering it. Honestly, £13 for an old, 70 minute movie is expensive, 9/10 or not. That'd be off-putting even if it was a more recent film, like Sword of the Sranger.

Like Disney, Ghibli movies tend to stay expensive. I was going to go on a mass Ghibli £7.50 spree a few weeks ago... but the postal price started, and then the prices all went up to £8. It put me off. I'm now going to wait for 'em to drop below £7 - it isn't as if I'm in a rush!

I'm not a BIG Ghibli fan myself... or, put better, I'm not a Miyazaki fan. Princess Mononoke aside, I rate the Ghibli films of other directors higher than the rest of his films. He can only handle kiddy flicks or ones with strong enviromental themes, and he mostly creates films aimed to please brats. Ponyo is a perfect example of the age group Miyazaki handles best. It's pretty clear why he didn't direct the likes of Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart.

I find it hard to compare Ocean Waves to Shinkai's efforts. VoaDS was too heavy on the supernatural side, being more similar to Gunbuster than Ocean Waves as a consequence. TPPioED would've been comparable if not for the second half, which was ruined by the switch from slice of life to 'out there'. And as for 5cm, I didn't really like it and can't remember much about it as a result, making it difficult for me to compare the two.

(I really need to rewatch my Shinkai collection. Thinking about it, 8/10 is probably too high for TPPiOED, taking the last half into consideration.)

I don't quite get how you could struggle to choose which of the two males to root for. While I'll agree the maturity Yutaka showed made him at least likeable, he had so little screen time in comparison to the charming Taku, and so little time with Rikako, that I felt no connection with him. Yutaka and Rikako never had anything going on; it was all Yutaka, so it was pretty straight-forward for me when it came to picking who to support.

Turning to your PMS comment, I find it hard to believe an English release was in doubt because Rikako mentioned she had cramps after being quized by Taku. It was a nothing comment; just something Rikako said to get Taku to feel sorry for her/understand her.

(As far as I know, Ocean Waves still hasn't got a R1 release. It isn't listed on Amazon.com.)

Now, it's time for me to finally try to watch the Lament of the Lamb OVA. Later.

P.S: Watch Piano no Mori / Piano Forest. You'll like it.

WRT the menstruation thing, I think that's a comment specifically aimed at Disney, who release Ghibli's films in the US. People are generally of the opinion that Disney would be to scared of a backlash from American parents who like to wrap their kids in cotton wool. And I thought that was a comment directed at Only Yesterday, not Ocean Waves... Clearly I'm not the only one who gets those films mixed up. ;)

As for the film itself, I intend to buy the DVD and watch it then, and have done for a long time. It looks like a good companion to Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart, two Ghibli films I'm very fond of.

Like I said earlier, I like to read what you write about anime. It's just that after your long review, replying with "hey looks cool, I'm gonna get this" seemed to me a bit out of place.

I'll admit to stalking you on MAL and whenever you posted some good deal in the sales thread.

I saw this in Richmond last summer. Though this is a Ghibli movie, it was not directed by either Miyazaki, or Takahata. That's why it wasn't included in the Disney deal. For the record the director was Tomomi Mochizuki. However regardless this is one of Ghibli's buried treasures that we in the UK are quite privileged to be blessed with by Optimum Asia. A slice of life genre that is more seinen then shounen, so even if Disney had licence for it, I doubt it would have warranted a dub just like Only Yesterday didn't warrant one. Disney still can't get over its long held dogma that animation is strictly for children. :wink:

Aion said:
You know, I was only pulling your leg when I mentioned you not posting in this thread. It isn't as if everyone else bothered to do so, leaving only you left. It was just a general 'You post about feminism for 20 paragraphs, yet never post about anime... WTF!?' post, really. This thread is just a pretty good example of the lack of life of this place.

I know. I don't normally just do what people tell me to ;)

Actually I have a bad cold at the moment and my husband was working late, so I was going to curl up with a movie anyway. Your suggestion came at a perfect time to bump the live action Saiyuuki film down the queue and give this one a spin. It was just the kind of quiet, heartfelt little movie I needed.

The politics of MAL always sound very frustrating.

You have to be careful looking for Japanese discs with English subtitles. Ghibli films generally have them but some other series have them only on certain volumes so some research is required.

Of course, the lion's share of "import" subtitled DVDs are non-Japanese bootlegs. I don't know why more Japanese DVDs don't come subtitled (even in Japanese!) to reclaim some of their sales even at the high prices R2J discs command. The Ghibli discs always looked like brisk sellers at the London Anime Club before they got decent UK/US distribution deals.

It looks as though the UK Ghibli DVDs sell at a fairly steady if not spectacular rate so there's probably not much incentive to lower their prices unless they aren't shifting any more. There are so many out now though that running some bundles or special offers to get them on more peoples' shelves surely couldn't hurt. Disney deliberately work hard to keep their products high in value by withdrawing them from market until supply dries up then rereleasing them when demand is sky high. Ghibli films don't really have that kind of power here. If they don't want to lower their prices too much though I think limited bundles at a saving might be a good way to get people to try out other, similar films instead of sticking with the ones they already know.

My feeling about most Ghibli films is that if I was a kid, they'd have been fantastic. The magic doesn't quite work on me now. I enjoyed the more western-style fantasy films such as Howl and Earthsea (I know...) and Laputa/Nausicaa/Kiki were "ok". Like you the non-Miyazaki films are much more interesting. Miyazaki is great at what he does, it's just what he does isn't for me.

With regard to Shinkai I was mostly thinking of 5cm (my favourite Shinkai movie). On the surface the plots are all very different, of course. The themes of clumsy, teenage romance and very honest, awkward leads made me draw the comparison. Ocean Waves was a lot more coherent and less experimental than 5cm. I liked them both in slightly different ways.

To go off on a slight tangent Ocean Waves and 5cm are so much better than most absurd Hollywood/soap portrayals of romance. Why can't someone in the US/UK make something from their heart like these movies instead of portraying all teenage boys as wisecracking jerks and all girls as insecure maniacs? The characters in Ocean Waves had flaws and made mistakes but always felt very human and sympathetic.

Even though Taku had significantly more development than Yutaka I didn't feel as though the latter was particularly enigmatic or difficult to identify with. I read a lot of short stories so I guess I enjoy filling in the blanks. I felt that I could judge Yutaka's more subdued personality quite quickly since he's a little like I was growing up; the way he phrased things and the abortive way he'd start things then find it difficult to follow through (both verbally and in his actions) said a lot more to me about the kind of person he was than knowing more about his background might have.

It's a shame the original book the film was based on doesn't seem to be available in English(?). It would be interesting to know whether it was similarly vague or if it explained more about the characters and outcome which the anime director chose to omit.

I'll keep a look out for Piano No Mori. I'm not importing from Japan at the current exchange rate until my trip next year so hopefully it will get picked up for an English language release in the meantime.

ayase: I'm sure the menstruation thing was mentioned for this film too, though it won't be the first time I'm wrong. Or the people whose comments I read on it online were wrong, leading to a compounding of errors :)

R (going to do some work now rather than spending my day off sick posting about movies!)

Rui said:
With regard to Shinkai I was mostly thinking of 5cm (my favourite Shinkai movie). On the surface the plots are all very different, of course. The themes of clumsy, teenage romance and very honest, awkward leads made me draw the comparison. Ocean Waves was a lot more coherent and less experimental than 5cm. I liked them both in slightly different ways.
To compare Ocean Waves to a Shinkai film is by far the most intriguing praise I've heard for it. Being generally deterred by the Ghibli label, I have not paid the title much attention thus far. However, if its musical arrangements are at all similar to what is found in Shinkai's offerings -the score being most crucial to the endearing quality of said director's films- then I'd be willing to reconsider.

ilmaestro said:
And Aion, I do generally read the stuff you post about anime, it's just that you tend to post about old stuff a lot. ^^;
It's also hard to have a discussion about something you haven't seen. We can't dispute or agree with the review until it is released. Yes, we can take the recommendation under advisement, but I mean... this a Ghibli film. Even the most amazing review in the world won't change the purchasing habits of the people on this forum (or fandom in general), because fans and detractors alike will do the silly thing of 'reviewing' Ocean Waves on the strength of any other Ghibli product they've encountered.

Also it's hard to post anything when you forget your password, and keep getting locked out even when you reset it. Cake may have been involved.

Zin5ki said:
To compare Ocean Waves to a Shinkai film is by far the most intriguing praise I've heard for it. Being generally deterred by the Ghibli label, I have not paid the title much attention thus far. However, if its musical arrangements are at all similar to what is found in Shinkai's offerings -the score being most crucial to the endearing quality of said director's films- then I'd be willing to reconsider.

I'm not sure how similar they are musically (my husband holds the Shinkai CDs in extremely high regard but I haven't personally ever really noticed the music in his films). The overall feel of the movie is quite similar though. I think if Shinkai's bittersweet, realistic stories about young lovers appeal then you won't go too far wrong with Ocean Waves. It comes with none of the usual Ghibli trappings :)

R

kupo: yes, another good point. The smaller user base we have here means that the number of common viewers for all but the most popular shows and movies is going to be relatively small.

Rui said:
(my husband holds the Shinkai CDs in extremely high regard but I haven't personally ever really noticed the music in his films)
Please re-watch even just the trailer for 5cm/s, and tell me if the music doesn't bring up a whole bunch of the emotion from the film.

ilmaestro said:
Please re-watch even just the trailer for 5cm/s, and tell me if the music doesn't bring up a whole bunch of the emotion from the film.

I think my listening skills are stunted :(

Unless it's vocal music or sweeping orchestras with chanting, I just instantly forget most BGM no matter how pretty it is.

R

Rui said:
I think my listening skills are stunted :(

Unless it's vocal music or sweeping orchestras with chanting, I just instantly forget most BGM no matter how pretty it is.
This surprises me as well. I myself relish every piano key of a Shinkai soundtrack, and will do so for similar arrangements in other works.
Orchestras have their uses across cinematic media, but sometimes a single instrument leaves the greatest of affects.

Back