Nostalgia Thread: Manga Videos (VHS)

Kaede

Adventurer
Manga Video

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zwb2r1vLtxM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zwb2r1vLtxM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So, whilst I'm a bit of a newbie on here, I actually first discovered anime way back in the pages of Super Play magazine, sometime in the early nineties. I kinda lost interest in anime around the time I discovered music and alcohol, and as I'm in a bit of a nostalgic mood today, I was wondering which of the early manga video releases are available to buy in one form or another on DVD.

Here are the ones I can remember (updated 10/09/09):

3x3 Eyes
AD Police
Adventure Duo
Angel Cop
Akira
Appleseed
Cyber City Oedo
Dominion Tank Police Acts 1-4
Fist of the North Star
Ghost in the Shell
Golgo13
The Guyver
The Heroic Legend of Arislan
Lensman
Macross Plus
New Dominion Tank Police 1-6
Ninja Scroll
Orguss 02
Project A-Ko
Space Adventure Cobra
Ultimate Teacher
Urotsukidoji 1 & 2
Vampire Hunter D
Venus Wars
X The Movie

There were definitely far more than this little list though.

So anyway, I'd like to know a few things:

1) Does anybody else here remember that far back?
2) Is there a website anywhere which is devoted to the old school manga video (VHS!) releases?
3) Can we complete a list of the titles that were released?
4) Which ones are available to buy on DVD today?
5) Anyone else here ever remember buying Manga Mania and AnimeUK?

Regards

K

I don't know about a devoted site that sells anime VHS but they do sell a lot of them on amazon.co.uk pretty cheap. I think you can probably pick up most of that list on DVD too and pretty cheaply again off of amazon.

I have a crap load of anime VHS tapes from way back when. Off hand I think I have the following lying around, Perfect Blue, Blood, Gunsmith Cats, several Lupin films (Goodbye Lady Liberty, Fuma Conspiracy and Cagliostro), a single volume of City Hunter, Ghost in the Shell, Black Jack, and there was a few more that I can't remember right now. Despite the low quality compared to DVD I have a certain nostalgia for watching some of these now and then...

unellmay said:
Did the have subs?
My copy of The Fuma Conspiracy was subtitled but they were mainly dubbed.

hey Kaede! I think we are anime-fan-twins!! I remember and also owned all of the titles you listed, though my vast collection of VHS drastically diminished once I left for uni and my mother deceided to "clear up" my stuff.

There was a site that I found on a google search which listed all the releases of Manga Video as well as Kiseki, Western Connection, Pioneer LDCE, East 2 West and Anime Projects, though I can't remember exactly what I typed in - I think it was something like uk anime list. No items for sale though. As Sy says, if you search on Amazon you should be able to find the odd tape here and there.

And yes I remember AnimeUK and Manga Mania - I had a letter printed in AnimeUK about trying to track down a copy of Nausicaa on VHS.

I've just been busy transferring my Manga Video titles to DVD, want to keep everything playable at least now that VHS is dead.

Of your list...

Akira
Appleseed
Fist of the North Star
Golgo13
Macross Plus
Ninja Scroll
Space Adventure Cobra
Urotsukidoji 1 & 2
New Dominion Tank Police 1-6
Venus Wars

were released by Manga on DVD. Some like Macross Plus are a bugger to find now...

Thev've also released

Detonator Orgun
AD Police
Orguss 02
Ghost in the Shell (Duh)
X The Movie
stuff like Rayearth, Vampire Wars and so on on one of their classics label

Dominion Tank Police Acts 1-4
Project A-Ko

were released by ILC prime

I had to imoort

Cyber City Oedo
Wings of Honneamise from Australia, they haven't been released here on DVD

The Guyver
The Heroic Legend of Arislan
Lensman
Ultimate Teacher, these I haven't seen about on DVD
I haven't seen
Devilman
Wicked City either

Stuff that I immortalised myself by transferring from tape...

Angel Cop
Junk Boy
Genocyber
Legend of the Four Kings (I think CPM had this in the US on DVD, but they went bust)

Olio80, thanks for the tip, I'll have a google around! I was only really looking for a list rather than a site to buy the titles. I see most are available on Amazon anyway. (Also, you have PM!)

Just Passing Through, how are you converting your VHS to DVD? It's something I might look into doing myself if it's not too expensive. The poorer quality of VHS doesn't put me off really, in fact to me it all adds to the anime feel. I really want to see Fist of the North Star, Arislan and Lensman again.

I really wish I could remember what that site was that I found! It listed every release, and it even went on to list all the releases that were incomplete (Ambassador Magma, Devil Hunter Yoko, etc) and also how much footage was cut from titles like Urotsukidoji and Angel Cop.

Olio8O said:
I really wish I could remember what that site was that I found! It listed every release, and it even went on to list all the releases that were incomplete (Ambassador Magma, Devil Hunter Yoko, etc) and also how much footage was cut from titles like Urotsukidoji and Angel Cop.

I have some Ambassador Magma VHS tapes. It is amazing how many of these early series never seemed to get finished. There are still a few shows I am trying to find on DVD like Black Magic M-66 and the like that I think were released on DVD but are hard to get.

Looking at this thread, it makes me wish I was the age I am now in 1996. I LOVE the Classic Manga titles, from what I've seen at least. Might go hunting for Sword of the Truth, RayEarth, Appleseed and some others.

Also want to watch the infamous Angel Cop at some point.

You see, now I feel out-of-place with my youth, the only anime DVDs I owned on VHS were Pokemon and Sailor Moon. D:

I'm sorry you guys, I don't remember any other VHS releases!

It would be pretty cool to own some more anime VHS tapes though. Might give Amazon a look.

Kezwick_Osaka said:
You see, now I feel out-of-place with my youth, the only anime DVDs I owned on VHS were Pokemon and Sailor Moon. D:

I'm sorry you guys, I don't remember any other VHS releases!

It would be pretty cool to own some more anime VHS tapes though. Might give Amazon a look.

.....um why exactly?

Some of my first ventures into anime was manga vhs'

My mum bought me adventure duo(adventure kid) when i was like 11... thanks mum 0_o

i love going back and rewatching them... some awful but fun titles. i even love the dub track on them. so funny.

Mutsumi said:
Hmm, Adventure Duo....sounds familiar.....

Floating head? Gratuitous violence & sex?

the very same ^_^

you also forgot zombie nazis, tenticle nurse rape, and demons with the longest pupic hair ive ever seen 0_o

Back