NewType USA announce Top 5 anime

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
After collecting 11,700 votes for a survey that ran for over three-months, the latest issue of NewType USA reveals their top 25 anime of all time.

The controversial mecha epic Neon Genesis Evangelion took the hotly contested top spot, while the jazzy bounty hunters of Cowboy Bebop (first volume hitting the UK in November!) took the respectable runners-up position. Inyasha finished up third, Rurouni Kenshin fourth and Trigun fifth.

To view the full list, you will have to buy NewType USA's November issue.

I'm kinda suprised to see Evangelion at the top. There are a lot of Eva haters out there, but I suppose complainers do make the most noise anyway. Good ol' Shinji isn't too bad afterall ;)

Inyasha in third place too. Seems kind of shocking that despite it's success in the US, we're still waiting to see in the UK. Even Canada have Inyasha on their TV.

Honestly, I was expecting Naruto to take the top place. I'll have to grab this issue when FP get it in, to see where exactly it ended up; I'd be very surprised if it didn't make the list at all.

I want to see how some of my own favourites (Princess Nine, SaiKano and RahXephon) fared, too.

Naruto not being in the top 5? I suppose it just goes to show that the fansub community isn't making as much impact on the DVD buying anime fans as a lot of the anti-fansub people would have you believe. The fact GunGrave has sold so well (and so fast) in America is proof alone that fansubs help to build up good word-of-mouth and anticipation - i.e. helping DVD sales instead of hurting them.

I've never actually read an issue of NewType USA before, but maybe I should. This top 25 list sounds interesting.

I'm just looking through this summer's Newtypes and it doesn't mention anywhere that shows that haven't been bought up can't be voted for. Maybe USA fans just assumed it meant commercially available anime, because I find it pretty difficult to believe Naruto wasn't mentioned somewhere... I'll have to grab the November issue at some point.

Last year Newtype USA had the Japanese top 10 list there, which was pretty Mech heavy, the top spot being taken by the original Mobile Suit Gundam. This was followed up by Evangelion in 2nd, Nadesico in 3rd, Two more Gundam series (Wing and SEED) in 4th and 5th, Vandread in 6th, yet another Gundam (Zeta) in 7th, Bebop (Huzzah!) in 8th, Lupin the 3rd at 9th, and perhaps most bizzarly, Sister Princess Re Pure at 10th. So loads of robots, a couple of classics, and a dating sim turned anime...

You should try to read Newtype every now and again Paul, its not a bad read for the price. The DVD is always good at any rate.

Naruto, is wearing thin. Much like the DBZ of early days. Frankly Naruto is not the top-anime show. Most people i know who watch it now simply watch it as routine, they themselves have stated that its getting dull. In my efforts to open their eyes to things they've missed over the months they only watched Naruto. I showed them Elfen Lied, BECK, Bleach, DearS and One Piece (Which they loved ^_^). I can't say they're all good, (DearS was awful >_<) but my opinion is that Naruto fans are becoming too narrow minded.

With the Newtype USA top 25 anime thing, is that just for US releases? If so i wouldn't find it very surprising if Naruto wasn't in there.

Shenny said:
Naruto, is wearing thin. Much like the DBZ of early days. Frankly Naruto is not the top-anime show. Most people i know who watch it now simply watch it as routine, they themselves have stated that its getting dull. In my efforts to open their eyes to things they've missed over the months they only watched Naruto. I showed them Elfen Lied, BECK, Bleach, DearS and One Piece (Which they loved ^_^). I can't say they're all good, (DearS was awful >_<) but my opinion is that Naruto fans are becoming too narrow minded.

With the Newtype USA top 25 anime thing, is that just for US releases? If so i wouldn't find it very surprising if Naruto wasn't in there.

I loved DearS Damn You!!!!!!1!!!!

Bebop is the best series I've seen, the way it merged stand-alone stories with an arc, the way it made you care for the characters and never want it to end....sublime.

Shenny said:
Naruto, is wearing thin. Much like the DBZ of early days. Frankly Naruto is not the top-anime show. Most people i know who watch it now simply watch it as routine, they themselves have stated that its getting dull.

Naruto should have taken a few months offair instead of subjecting us to a below-average arc of filler episodes. It's really taken the edge off what was becoming a very interesting storyline.

But then, I'm sure you've seen the new opening animation? You can't tell me that doesn't look damn cool ;) I can't wait to see the 'real' story move forward and I guess that is a testament to the writing skills of the original author.

Back