New Yen Press titles unavailable in the UK?

Golden Star

Hikikomori
I’ve recently noticed that a bunch of new Yen Press titles haven’t become available with UK retailers like Amazon or Waterstones in the past few weeks. Books such as Higurashi Meguri Vol. 3, Shadows House Vol. 7, and this week Shy Vol. 8 and Is the Order a Rabbit Vol. 1, are all listed on WS as “temporarily unavailable” and while they can be ordered from Amazon UK, they’re all being delivered from the US. Does anyone know if there’s an issue with Yen Press and UK wholesalers that’s causing this and if it’s only certain retailers being affected? I’m going to London at the end of this month and hoping stores like Forbidden Planet will have some of these titles in store.

Does anyone know if there’s an issue with Yen Press and UK wholesalers that’s causing this and if it’s only certain retailers being affected?
The reviewers here have also not received any physical Yen Press titles for September or October (so far). The only feedback I've received when inquiring from Diamond Book Distributors is that 'they are running late' but they should 'receive them shortly'. I note also that NYCC takes place this week and that was (I think) a factor last year in late arrivals for the UK. I'd be really interested to know if you visit FP in London and they have the September/October titles in-store. (Incidentally, some of the popular Seven Seas new titles have only been available from the US on Amazon or distributors like Speedy Hen, so maybe it's not just Yen.)

The reviewers here have also not received any physical Yen Press titles for September or October (so far). The only feedback I've received when inquiring from Diamond Book Distributors is that 'they are running late' but they should 'receive them shortly'. I note also that NYCC takes place this week and that was (I think) a factor last year in late arrivals for the UK. I'd be really interested to know if you visit FP in London and they have the September/October titles in-store. (Incidentally, some of the popular Seven Seas new titles have only been available from the US on Amazon or distributors like Speedy Hen, so maybe it's not just Yen.)
Diamond are awful in general wrt distribution of manga. The only titles I find that aren't delayed by them by 1-2 months are from Dark Horse.

I actually find Diamond one of the better distributors generally, at least for my area. I never have that much trouble picking up new releases day 1 in my local comic store for Yen (the Kodansha titles are another thing entirely...). Other publishers like Seven Seas I almost never see in a store until months later and Viz has its own silly circumstances of bringing out everything 2 months later than the states! So compared to that I can't really complain. 😅

I think there may well be stock issues over in the states for YP stuff as well right now. It may be a coincidence but a translator I follow was bemoaning the lack of reviews for one of their September releases, which is certainly unusual as it was a volume 1 debut so there's often a few US-based reviewers who tackle them.

Back