New trailer for Wachowski's Speed Racer

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The Wachowski Bros. (directors of "The Matrix) have released the <a href="http://movies.aol.com/movie/speed-racer-2008/28066/main">first official trailer</a> (Quicktime) for their latest movie "Speed Racer". Starring an A-list cast Hollywood actors, including the likes of Christina Ricci, Matthew Fox and Susan Sarandon, it's a high-budget adaption of retro favourite anime TV series Mach GoGoGo, which was originally created way back during the 1960s. As expected, the Wachowski Brothers (on record as massive anime fans) have crafted a rather unique aesthetic for the film, it's colourful palette, speed lines and heavy use of CG clearly suggesting animated origins.

I've watched this trailer 5 or 6 times now, each time it gets better, especially in beautiful Quicktime quality. At first I'm kinda thrown by the ultra cartoony style of film, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Yes, this does look very, very good! Some of the acting seems to be very cheesy, but that's no problem! But, does anyone know just how faithful it seems to be to the original anime/manga?

I would <3 if the new DBZ movie could pull off a style like this. Insanely cool yet seemingly plot-driven. If the reviews are good 'nuff I should be checking this adaption out.

Looks like 'Lazy Town' the movie to me :p Still, I think it's interesting how they've embraced certain Anime cliches (fiery screaming background ahoy!), though I do feel it's fused with a more American-toon campness.

Tasker said:
kupoartist said:
Looks like 'Lazy Town' the movie to me

So, i'm not the only one that thought that then? :p

I'm still a little 50/50 on this, it looks a little 'too' fake for me. :?

3rded

look too spy kidsish to me

think i'll be giving this one a miss, unfortunatly it falls under the "kids films" rather than the "family films" genre for me

Uh, it was based off of an anime from the 70s guys? I think you can cut it some slack for trying to stick to the old school animu. >_>

Lupus Inu said:
Uh, it was based off of an anime from the 70s guys? I think you can cut it some slack for trying to stick to the old school animu. >_>

i can see a Live action "Wackey Races" looking less kiddish, nuff said

besides by that logic, you'd be happy for the DBZ movies to take 3/4 of the movie powering up cause it's "classic DBZ"

Lupus Inu said:
Sy said:
It looks as crappy as the anime it was spawned from. Fans may love it because of that.
Sounds similar to the Death Note movies in that case. [Couldn't resist. >_>]
You've got to admit at least that the Death Note anime looked good. The movies looked like average TV movies or B-movies.

I noticed John Goodman in that trailer. I honestly thought he was dead!

You must be thinking of John Candy.

Not really looking foward to the Speed Racer movie. More interested in the upcoming adaption of Monster here's hoping David Cronenberg chooses to direct it!

I think that looks terrible guys.
Then again i never watched the original show as a kid but the CGI is disgustingly bad and the green screens are just so obvious. Maybe that's the point and it's tongue in cheek, i could see the mise en scene reference to anime style but it just looked tacky and spoof esq.
I guess you may have to be a fan of it growing up or just in to that sort of humour but for me sadly that aint the case.

Back