New to manga

Wraith

Completely Average High School Student
i'm a fan of anime, but i'm only just getting into manga, hopefully gonna start at ayacon

any good recomendations?

It depends what you like genre wise really. Theres such a huge, huge variety of manga avalible here you need to narrow it down a bit ... unless you like everything of course.

I'd recommend starting with one of Viz's Shonen Jump titles, they balance adventure, action, humour and drama with stunning proficiency and are amongst the most popular among casual readers and hard core fans alike.

You'll probably be better off investing in a SJ manga like Bleach, Naruto or Rurouni Kenshin to get you started, they feature a sprinkling of everything and you won't go far wrong with a volume of either of those

Some manga I really enjoyed has been Chobits (far superior to the anime), Love Hina (also superior to its anime counterpart), Azumanga Daioh, GTO & Full Metal Panic. All good if you like comedy in my opinion.

Others probable recommend is Hellsing if you like vampires and horror or if you like action maybe Battle Vixens or Tenjho Tenge.

I'd recommend "Cheeky Angel" by Hiroyuki NISHIMORI (released by Viz). It's comedy/action, mixed with an hilarious light weight romance. It's about a 9 year old boy called Megumi who is given a magic book by a wizard, inside the book lives an evil magical clown who grants him one wish, but the clown reverses all wishes and so when he wishes to be "The manliest man", you guessed it, he becomes the "womanliest woman". Six years later she enters high school and everyone is in awe at her stunning beauty!
It's very funny, as Megumi still thinks like a guy, even though she's 100% female, so she's always beating the crap out of bullies and weirdos. This is one of the few non-shoujo titles I own and I love it - I've read up to volume 6 so far and got told off by my daughter for laughing out loud over it, but it is THAT funny.

I'd also recommend the anime "Tenshi na Konamaiki", although the animation quality sucks at times, the rest of it is wonderful :D

I would recommend Alien Nine. Its a very short but very good series spanning across 3 volumes (plus another sidestory volume). Its about a group of young school girls who are chosen to protect their school from alien attacks, however they each are given a 'borg' to help them, which is a frog-like alien they wear on there head. Its very good, very cute and sometimes horribly gross.

Ramadahl said:
Wow, no-one mentioned Fruits Basket... :shock: . It's a popular shojo series with 11 volumes released in the UK to date, and more to come. For a quick synopsis, go to http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=2335. I can give it my personal recommendation, for what it's worth, and I'm sure other people here could do the same.

The official UK releases of Fruits Basket are only on the sixth volume ;) . But the US releases (which are easily avaliable on UK sites like amazon anyway) are further ahead.

Fruits Basket and Love Hina are two of my faves at the moment, although i've been quite taken by the Chobits and Cowboy Bebop manga versions as well. basically, i either go on other people's recommendations or stick with a story i've seen the animated version of. a word of warning though: some of the Viz titles like the Evangelion manga are really hard to find in the UK, unless you go on Amazon or something.

Fruits Basket, of course, is a great read, definatly one that could help you get into manga.

Love Hina, also mentioned by Concrete Badger, has been used sucessfully to get people into manga by me four times; it's slapstick humour is particularly popular with young men, for obvious reasons.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, once again mentioned by Concrete badger, is a good adaption of the anime and well worth a read.

For a more action packed read, Hellsing is beautifully drawn, has a good plot and cast and features lots of action

Berserk, likewise, although it's more violent and set in a gritty medieval fantasy setting, while having a completely different style of story.

The Shounen Jump titles that I would personally recommend are Bleach, Hunter x Hunter and Kenshin, but of course Naruto is currently the most popular one. One Piece makes a fun light read, too.

Beck, the first volume only out, is another great introduction to manga.

Death Note likewise, the first volume either out now or coming out soon.

There's many many titles worth a read; just go to your nearest bookshop where manga is sold, and find one with an interesting storyline, and then take it from there!

UP1 is saying deathnote vol 1 is out in october i think ill get that as my first manga unless something comes over me and i go out in a mad dash to Borders :)

I agree with Chomo on the Death Note recommendation, its great, also GantZ is one you should check out if you've got a strong stomach but Its not availalbe in english yet apart from on the internet.

Back