Neon Genesis Evangelion Standard & Zavvi Exclusive Collector's Edition Blu-ray Details Revealed

I've been seeing these releases for this and I'm just confused because they're supposed to be ultimate and collector editions but I know that they have released these extensions, Revival and Rebuild, which amount to 6 movies (icluding the one that's supposedly release this year or coming out soon). I don't see either one of these listed unless I'm blind. So how can they call these ultimate or collector's editions? I would love if someone could walk me through this.

I've been seeing these releases for this and I'm just confused because they're supposed to be ultimate and collector editions but I know that they have released these extensions, Revival and Rebuild, which amount to 6 movies (icluding the one that's supposedly release this year or coming out soon). I don't see either one of these listed unless I'm blind. So how can they call these ultimate or collector's editions? I would love if someone could walk me through this.
Revival of Evangelion isn't technically a separate movie. It's just Death(True)2 and End of Evangelion combined as a double feature. As it's components are already in the set there's no need for its inclusion.

As for the Rebuilds I personally don't see much of a point in their inclusion in a set specifically focused on Neon Genesis Evangelion. In terms of anime Neon Genesis only refers to the initial series, Death(True)2 and End of Evangelion. If the set were to advertise itself as the Evangelion Ultimate Edition then sure I'd argue for the Rebuilds to be included

If the set were to advertise itself as the Evangelion Ultimate Edition then sure I'd argue for the Rebuilds to be included
I concur and as much as I can't now see the Evangelion story complete without the conclusion reached in the Rebuilds, there are clearly also licensing arrangements & restrictions (even at the Japanese release ends I think @NormanicGrav mentioned elsewhere) that sadly prevent one full ultimate Eva package being released.

Hopefully he sees these comments and might be able to specifically help us figure it out. I did see the licensing agreement related to the ending song but I didn't see any mention at all related to the Rebuild.
Even when they first announced that these were coming out in an earlier article, there was not one mention to the Rebuild productions when they described the history of Evangelion releases. They even went into detail regarding the Rebirth remakes (which is confusing as hell in figuring out which is the best one or the one that's wanted most, although it feels like we don't have a choice anymore and have to accept death²). Yet with so much detail, no mention of Rebuild.
Like I said, maybe he'll comment more on it!

Hopefully he sees these comments and might be able to specifically help us figure it out. I did see the licensing agreement related to the ending song but I didn't see any mention at all related to the Rebuild.
Even when they first announced that these were coming out in an earlier article, there was not one mention to the Rebuild productions when they described the history of Evangelion releases. They even went into detail regarding the Rebirth remakes (which is confusing as hell in figuring out which is the best one or the one that's wanted most, although it feels like we don't have a choice anymore and have to accept death²). Yet with so much detail, no mention of Rebuild.
Like I said, maybe he'll comment more on it!
As I've said in my previous comment the Rebuild films aren't a part of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Neon Genesis only covers what was released in the 90s.

If this release was to cover Evangelion as a whole only then would it make sense to include the rebuilds.

In regards to Rebirth that actually pretty simple. As they're the complete versions, Death(True)2 and End of Evangelion are the only versions necessary to the ultimate edition. Any other version of the films would just be a neat extra. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Back