NEO: A new dedicated UK anime magazine

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The UK finally has a dedicated anime magazine! <a href="http://www.neomag.co.uk/">'NEO' magazine</a> is set to hit shelves on the 25th of November and can be found in stores "... like WHSmith and Borders (apparently costing £3.50)..., and will include in-depth features on the latest anime hits like Dead Leaves."

Amongst other features also included, there is "... an interview with ADV Films’ voice actress Monica Rial". Suffice to say we'll post more news about this magazine as we hear it.

This has basically come out of nowhere yet is already set for a release on 25th November and already has a deal set up with Borders and WH Smiths'. I'm interested to see what this magazine turns out like, I hope they aren't over exposing themselves too early.

Jesus, lots of news tonight.

Oh thank God, an actual UK anime publication (by that I mean not fan based). Haven't had one of those since stuff like Manga Max back in the 90s. Must. Find. Wallet...

Very exciting to see a magazine like this hitting stores like UK. I guess we're about to find out if anime really is popular enough in the UK!

Anonymous said:
any think that theyll be any freebies? with the mag since its the first one out

Judging by the £3.50 price, I'm guessing that it won't have anything like a free DVD. I hope they consider doing a free DVD though, seems like most people buy NewType just for the cover discs.

it would be nice if they did like in dvd mag where they give free dvds away mostly every time it comes out

Aww, crap - just realised I'm not going to be in the country when it comes out.

For £3.50, I'm not expecting there to be much chance of a free DVD every issue... or at all. PC magazines get a lot of stuff on their discs for that price, but their circulation is huge and the amount of advertising they carry is crazy. While it would be nice to see a NewType-style insert DVD, at this point in the magazine's life it's definitely too early to say.

Every other magazine in this country is owned by Futrue Publishing. The Tycoon of magazines. Its price is probably an attempt to pull back the money they're having to fork out to get it to a national market.

If it proves successful the price may drop or increase slightly, to make alittle more profit. Which might mean freebies at a later date.

We have an interesting feature on this magazine coming up later tonight - an interview with its editor, including information on potential cover-discs as well as the final magazine cover design (completely different to the one feature on their site). I'll probably be posting this interview at midnight, so if this interests you, stick around ;)

From what I've heard, the magazine is great. I've just signed up for a six month suscription via the Neo site.

Apparently some early suscribers got issue one through the post today. Lucky dastards ;)

I would say it would be likely, though you may have to ask the staff to fetch it for you from the stockroom. Looking at the website, it seems they have partnerships with some of the most important shops in the UK, so hopefully everyone will get a chance of buying it locally.

Only one day to go and i cant wait. I think i will pop in to WHsmiths today and see if they have it already i may even try asda (as i work there).

Got my copy through the mail today and having spent an hour reading through it, I have been quite impressed.

It will certainly be a good way of getting new fans into the genre as well as providing a few little features for hardened fans like myself. Having said that, I thought the reviews are a little weak and seem to lack any firm critisism (And they don't have a scoring system either).

The article on manga is very interesting and perhaps the best thing in the first issue. It provides images of Japanese manga stores and wow, that's a lot of graphic novels!

Anyway, certainly worth £3.50! Looking forward to the next issue.

Back