Neo #2 and NewType USA controversy

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The second issue of (almost dedicated) anime/manga magazine NEO is out now and can be found in many good UK magazine shops (and some rubbish ones too!). This month's issue is notably improved on the last; containing a large feature on the history of mecha anime as well as an exclusive 6-page manga preview (proper manga this time; TokyoPop's Eeriee Queerie).

Talking of anime magazines, there is a lot controversy surrounding NewType USA at the moment after one of their (now former) writers accused the popular magazine of altering/softening one of his reviews without permission; specifically, changing a line of text from "but as a 22-page comic it fails considerably" to "but as a 22-page comic it works just OK". This has naturally led to many questioning NewType USA's journalistic integrity. The original post can be found on the AnimeOnDVD forums.

NewtypeUSA's reviews are always sugared up. I just buy it for the series info, pretty pictures and the DVD, though its a tad expensive since they put the DVD back on. Shame about the guy who wrote the article though; reviews are just one person's opinion, so it shouldn't be changed just to suit what ADV or whoever endorses Newtype wants it to be.

While I'd always have taken the NTUSA ADV reviews with a pinch of salt, the fact that they sunstantially changed the review for even a competitor's product (Dark Horse's "Karas") would make me hesitant to take the magazine's word for anything from this point on.

I only ever got it for the features and images over reviews though, so I'll probably continue buying NTUSA when they have a coverdisc or feature that interests me.

I'm going to have to grab the new issue of Neo as well - thanks for the reminder.

I bought my copy today and was actually pleasantly pleased with it :shock:
I decided this time to flick through before buying and as soon as I saw the 2 page spread on Sailor Moon, I was sold :lol:
I haven't read it all, still some things I'm not interested in, but on the whole I'm a lot more impressed with the second issue!

that's pretty much what i thought of NEO. i'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for when the next issue's out. the only trouble is, it's still a bit hard to find if you live in a sleepy market town in the sticks ;)

Concrete badger said:
i'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for when the next issue's out. the only trouble is, it's still a bit hard to find if you live in a sleepy market town in the sticks ;)

I live in one of those towns :lol: but luckily we have a Martins the Newsagents and they sell it :D

Back