Negima - what's the verdict?

rory_okane

Completely Average High School Student
Just happened across it in Forbidden Planet - as I understand it, it's the newest manga by Ken Akamatsu (the guy that created Love Hina), and still ongoing... So, is it any good/worth a look? I know the main male protagonist is from Wales (yay!), but other than that, I was wondering what everyone else's impressions of it were...

i've read about 15 volumes or so of the manga, there's quite alot of comedy, most of which you'll be familiar with if you've read Love Hina (very much based around ecchi)

i thought it was quite good, it's definately worth checking out, but don't expect it to be a rom-com like Love Hina though, it's more of an action comedy

I've just read volume 27 now. Very good manga that deals with a huge cast - has to be great to manage a story with a theme like that.

If you like Love Hina, you'd definately like this.

I hear it turns very action-oriented, however I only own the first five volumes and two is notable because of some sort of spa-based story. I didn't mind it.

definately, the fights aren't the typical "imma gonna charge up mah powahs for 20 chapters while the villain talks about their motives" sort that you see in alot of shounen titles, well, not as far as i've read it anyway

Take Love Hina, turn the lead character into a total dick and add far too many supporting characters, and you get a total mess.

Or in other words...Negima.

No idea how it got so popular...it's poo.

NB it's kind of annoying to get earlier volumes (first 18 or so), as they were released in the UK, so shops stopped restocking US import (inc. Amazon). UK brand then died leaving those harder to get. Volume 10 I think, I had to import straight from the US; be forewarned.
You may need to put in requests to shops.

I've heard it's quite action packed and epic. People often praise its "world building" and storytelling, which seems odd to me because (ever since Love Hina) I've had Akamatsu down as a harem man, but the more I hear about Negima, the more I'm tempted to give it a shot.

Don't know about the Manga, but anime-wise....

Negima! - Pretty good, but nothing special. An average-good show.
Negima!? - Better in terms of comedy and content, in my opinion. Looks alot better, espcially with spells and the such as SHAFT seems to have gone all out with the fancyness on it.

megagold5 said:
Don't know about the Manga, but anime-wise....

Negima! - Pretty good, but nothing special. An average-good show.
Negima!? - Better in terms of comedy and content, in my opinion. Looks alot better, espcially with spells and the such as SHAFT seems to have gone all out with the fancyness on it.
It's the first one, but the manga looks graphicaly awsome. And that had a tagged on ending.

Negima !? has it's own manga, Negima Neo

Look at the OADs for the anime actually keeping up with the quality of the manga.

I've read the first 15 or so chapters but I just couldn't get into it (coming from a love hina fan), there were way too many supporting characters and the main character just didn't grab me. Did the manga have a bad start or does it get better, cause I have heard good things about it.

The manga gets pretty epic as it goes on, yeah. I find that most shounen fighting series (which this essentially is, in large part) tend to start slow while they are still working on introducing the characters and giving the main guy some real power. But if you think there are too many supporting characters just from the first 15 chapters...

Also, welcome to the forum!

Well maybe thats cause I was just expecting another love hina type manga...but I'll try giving it another shot with a more 'shounen action' mindset

2? volumes, yes it does change after the first few.
Far more shounen fighting series, less harem.
Does have a smaller core cast later on, still 40 or so regular characters though.

Negima is quite simply the finest of manga's! It has a good story, and a very likable cast, who are mostly well explored.

I could wax on about how awesome it is all day, and have at length on other forums ;)

however you owe it to yourself not to read the first volume anywhere but online, as the english translation for volume 1 is a horrible hackjob that ruins the story and the characters. 2 and 3 aren't great either, but not so bad as 1. from then on you can read from the volumes if you can get hold of them, which aint that easy alas

Ok I've now completely caught up and I'm glad I gave this series a second chance. Once it hit the Mahora festival arc I couldn't put it down

Back