Need some help from some Shojo fans!

Ramen89

Thousand Master
Ok, Im a complete retard when it comes to Shojo, I really dont know where I stand with Shojo, I think the only Shojo series ive ever come in contact with was CCS which I got addicted to on CITV (I know the dub was horrible and it got edited alot but I was young). So with Gollancz (is that right)'s release Of Fushigi Yugi imminant I was contemplating getting it, now I know its going to come off a bit shallow but it there any fighting/magic stuff in the series that could keep a guy like me entertained?

The manga of Fushigi Yuugi is almost identical to the anime (only the island of Amazon women is cut out and instead used in the Omake theatre at the end of the OVA episodes).
There's the same romantic quality as the anime, but the manga is a bit hotter and a little more gory than the anime. There's plenty of battles/fighting, tons of humour and you get those little columns written by the author, that are jam packed with really interesting facts.
The manga isn't quite as romance orientated as the anime, but I'd still say that is the main focus.
I'd say buy the first couple of volumes and if you're not hooked by then, you probably never will be :wink:

I'd try Sailormoon,it has the shoujo,action,and magical girl genre all in one.Even though it's a bit hard to find these days and is quite proorly translated by Tokyopop.

Ramen89 said:
Ahh fudge it, I just ordered the first 2 volumes, If I dont like it... I'll force myself to!
I only said that because you should be hooked about half way through volume one :wink: If you're not, then you're unlikely to enjoy the rest of it. I've seen the anime 6 or 7 times (can't remember!!) but I still enjoyed the manga very much, in fact I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, because I know the story by heart.

There are 13 volumes of the main story and then volumes 14-18 are the OVAs.

I can recommend you around 50 shoujo manga titles (as 95% of my manga collection is shoujo), but you need to let me know what kinds of things you would want from a shoujo.
Some are intense romance, some are magical girl, some are fantasy, some are shounen-ai (I'd recommend Gravitation as one of the best reads ever, but it's very shounen-ai, bordering on yaoi!). So give me a better idea of what you want the content to be and I'll see what I can recommend for you :D

Well If you could reccomend somthing similar to CCS, I don't mind a romance in a series but no thanks with the shonen-ai, I'd just like in a shojo series, some like magical fighting socery type stuf and some adventure type thing (possibly the worst description ever I know!)

Zodiac P.I.: It's about a young girl with psychic powers and with the help of 12 zodiac fairies (like cute little familiars who give her guidance), a cool guy, she solves mysteries and murders! She changes into Spica to solve the mysteries, which are quite intriguing.

You could try Sailor Moon (as Rukia recommended) but you'd have to find the manga second hand, as Tokyopop have lost the license for it and I know volume 5 is out of print and the others are almost impossible to find in shops now.

Saint Tail, Corrector Yui, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne (coming out next month), Miracle Girls are all magical girl stories. Complete with transformations, magic wands and nasty villains!

Magic Knight Rayearth: doesn't actually have transformations or sceptres, but I class it as a kind of magical girl, mixed with fantasy and mechs (they each have 3 guardian beats that turn into giant mechs!). There's plenty of magic spells too!

D.N.Angel: plenty of action, angels and cute girls/guys. It's more engrossing than the anime too!

Hope that helps a little?

Just thought I'd add Planet Ladder. It's set in one of 9 alternate earth dimensions, has sorcery, mad kings and is damned good (volume 7 was released recently, 3 years after volume 6!).

They all sound pretty damn sweet but could you tell me which the best one out of those is please

P.S. Fushigi Yugi, does it have Yaoi in it? :oops:

There's no yaoi in Fushigi Yuugi.
Tomo is gay, but there are no gay scenes! Nuriko is a crossdresser, Amiboshi and Suboshi are a little close for twins, but nothing happens, just insinuation!!

Go for Zodiac P.I. it's quite a recent release and so it shouldn't be difficult to get copies. The others are all a little older and it could be difficult to find them, except maybe second hand!
BTW there are only 4 volumes to Zodiac P.I. making it a cheaper choice too :D

Ramen89 said:
What about Fruit Baskets, is that good?

No! it's not good, it's bloody brilliant :lol:
It's nothing like any of the things you said you were looking for, but it's such a wonderful and engrossing story. It's up to volume 11 in English and still ongoing in Japan (17 volumes to this point).

I recommend everyone to read Furuba :mrgreen:

Ramen89 said:
1. Whats it about
2. Is it available over here or do I have to get it via scanslations?

That's a surprise, I thought everyone knew about Fruits Basket!

Anyway, very briefly; it's about a girl named Tohru Honda who's mother has died and she was living with her Grandad, he's redecorating as the rest of the family are moving in, so as not to be a bother, she pitches a tent in the local woods and there meets 2 people whose land it is, namely Shigure and Yuki Sohma, plus after a short while, Kyo. They all have a dark secret, as they can transform into animals from the Chinese zodiac (a story Tohru remembers her mother telling her many times). The members of this family are fine until they are hugged by a member of the opposite sex and then they transform into their respective animals for a short period of time.
She moves in with Shigure, Yuki and Kyo and eventually meets all of the members of the Sohma family and finds out all about their curse.
It's very funny in parts, very sad in others, and filled with some of the most wonderful characters ever created! but above all it's a fantastic read.

BTW you should be able to buy it from anywhere that sells import manga books - I buy mine from UP1.

If you're looking for a shoujo series with a lot of action and violence, you could try out X/1999, and it's by the same manga-kas as Carcaptor Sakura, CLAMP. There is some very light shounen-ai stuff (I know a lot of guys who've read the series and didn't even notice it *laughs*), but it is as violent as many shounen series out there, and pretty gory in parts. 18 volumes have been released in English so far by Viz, and there should only be another two volumes after that (it's currently on hiatus, apparently due to the violent content of the ending o_O)

Akaihane said:
If you're looking for a shoujo series with a lot of action and violence, you could try out X/1999, and it's by the same manga-kas as Carcaptor Sakura, CLAMP. There is some very light shounen-ai stuff (I know a lot of guys who've read the series and didn't even notice it *laughs*), but it is as violent as many shounen series out there, and pretty gory in parts. 18 volumes have been released in English so far by Viz, and there should only be another two volumes after that (it's currently on hiatus, apparently due to the violent content of the ending o_O)

X/1999 is one of my favourite manga series; the fact that it's shoujo shows that anime that is "for girls" can be enjoyed by anyone.

I'm obsessed with X, though I'm even more obsessed with Tokyo Babylon *laughs* I blame that Subaru boy ^_____^

But truly great manga can't restrained by either being shoujo or shounen, and X is definitely one of those manga that breaks the mold; the art style and a lot of the character development seems shoujo, but the violence is often more brutal than a lot of shounen I've watched. Plus I have a number of male friends who couldn't believe it went I told them it is shoujo :D

Back