Nazca

Miaka-chan

Stand User
I have just finished watching Nazca for the almost second time (I could only watch up to ep7 of the fansubs I had years ago!) and it was wonderful.
There seems to be mixed feelings about this anime and I have a feeling it's because most people are confused and couldn't follow the storyline. However, I loved it!

Beautiful animation and a very interesting use of 3D CGI. There was a little too much reuse of certain scenes, but everything from the backgrounds to the buildings was very nicely done.
The character design was very appealing, and for the most part the characters were good looking.
The costume design for the Inca's was very imaginative, although I'm not sure if the Inca's really ever did dress like that!
The Prayer Shrine was amazing and the way it was made to appear out of the fog, was rather breath taking.

The music, WOW! the music. It's breath taking, haunting, melodious, and so fitting for this show. It's probably one of the best musical scores I have ever heard for any anime.
The op theme performed by the Eccentric Opera is just too wonderful for words, it sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it!
The ed music is so haunting and reminds me of those musicians you often see performing in the streets (the ones from Peru playing those gorgeous flutes!).
The BGM is all so wonderful, there is just one choir boy sounding song in the first episode that I just don't like, sounds like something from Tom Brown School Days!
The voice acting is surperb. Each and every seiyuu plays their character to perfection, with the right amount of intonation needed. It's probably the most normal role Megumi Hayashibara has ever played!
See if you think Kyoji's seiyuu (Suzumura Kenichi) sounds just like Tomokazu Seki?!

The storyline is very interesting and intriguing! It's a tale of the reincarnation of Inca warriors and priests.
In the past 2 tribes had fought in battle, the opposing sides goal was to release the power of Iriyatesse to destroy the planet and the evil and corruption of mankind. (I get the impression that Iriyatesse is some kind of incarnation of the Devil, but maybe I'm wrong!!?).
400 years into the future these same warriors are reincarnated to finish the job they had failed to do in the past, but so have their enemies, the guys who stopped them before.
Here unfolds a tale of loyalty being tried to it's limits, an intriguing tale where the viewer gets to find out who the characters were in their previous lives and what roles they played.
I found the flashbacks to the past very interesting, especially as they slowly revealed the truth behind what happened previously.
The ending is a little conflicting, with the decision made by Yawaru/Tate at the very end, a little too trite, but overall a thoroughly enjoyable story.

Wonderful characters!
Kyoji/Bilka: is a very sweet kid, who refuses to accept his fate right til the very end. I liked him a lot, he's the sort of character who can win a place in your heart, because of his loyalty and belief.

Yawaru/Tate: slightly maniacal and he seems to want to follow his fate a little too much. Very single minded and unable to accept his view point could actually be wrong.

Yuka/Aquira: her devotion is heart warming, right til the end she still loves her man all out. She makes a very convincing priestess and I love the scene when she tells Kyoji that they can only allow themselves to cry this once - it's so sad!

Daimon/Orehon: a rather weak guy, who only seems to be following Tate because he saved him from some bullies. It's obvious later on, he can see the error of his ways and his statement to Kyoji asking to be his best friend in their next lives, was very touching.

Shigami: he drove me nuts! Talk about raving bloody loon! As the show went on, he got a little crazier each episode, until at the end he was nothing more than a beast. I can't say I liked him at all, he was just a bit too "mad"!

Dan and Seino: Dan aka Mr. Bear was a great guy, strong and forthright. Seino, sweet and innocent, but ruffle his feathers and you better watch out!

There were a few more characters introduced towards the end, namely Garos, but I couldn't gel with him. It might have been better to have introduced him sooner, to get a better idea of him.
Overall this anime oozes wonderful characters!

For the music alone, this anime is worth watching! Add to that an intriguing and reasonably refreshing storyline, and wonderful characters, you then have the ingredients for a really good series.
Admittedly the ending may seem a little confusing at first but after a little analyzing, it becomes clearer and the outcome wholely acceptable.

A must watch in my humble opinion!

Back