Naruto Ratings

Mangaminx

Stand User
Popular action anime Naruto topped the viewer ratings on Cartoon Network when it premiered in the United States this past Saturday. According to Nielson Media Research, Naruto "carved double-digit ratings and delivery gains among Cartoon Network’s targeted kids 6-11 and tweens 9-14".

Cartoon Networks full press release with full ratings information can be read here.

Many anime fans as well as those in the industry hope that Naruto's evidently immense popularity will cause another "anime boom", and revitalise the industry which lately has been slowing down stateside.

While my opinion on Naruto is well documented ;) , I have to say that it certainly looks to be the next "Dragonball Z" or "Inuyasha" when it comes to winning over new fans in the states via TV. I'm hoping this leads to the industry flourishing again and companies being able to risk licensing less mainstream shows. First impressions are certainly promising, and Viz certainly seem to be in line to make big money.

Well i hope it does well because then theres perhaps more of a chance of the unedited dvds doing well when they are released and not dropping out after a couple of volumes, and of course it revitalises the anime market all the better

It's as expected really. No matter how good or bad the US dub was going to turn out, it was always going to get the high ratings.. the series itself just has "it" for me.

This is going to open up the whole fansub issue again isn't it?

Personally, I honestly don't think Naruto wouldn't have been as big a hit if not for the massive (and I do mean MASSIVE) hype generated around the internet by the fansubs. It was everywhere.

Yeah but the reason why it has a massive fan base is that its a good series, and the fact that it was so popular because of the fan subs stopped it from getting licensed for quite a while becasue it was so expensive.

Yeah but the reason why it has a massive fan base is that its a good series, and the fact that it was so popular because of the fan subs stopped it from getting licensed for quite a while becasue it was so expensive.

If that's the case, I know a lot of good series which have died a death on TV. Every show takes time to build up a fanbase; luckily for Viz, Naruto already has massive worldwide audience. Viral marketing is important, and fansubs have done a lot of the hard work already. If it's such a bad thing, you would think Viz would have tried to get Narutofan.com shut down by now?

As if it needed proving, this is sure fire proof that fansubs and the fanbases they build up are a positive thing. With regards to high licensing fees, you have to pay for quality; Viz paid up for Naruto and are now odds on to make a ton of money out of what is most accessable anime series created in recent times.

There is no doubt that Naruto's potential success will be a massive turning point for the Western anime industry. It is one of the few series with the potential to create hundreds of devoted anime fans over-night. All there is do to now is to wait and see what happens, and hope for a UK release too! :)

Paul said:
As if it needed proving, this is sure fire proof that fansubs and the fanbases they build up are a positive thing. With regards to high licensing fees, you have to pay for quality; Viz paid up for Naruto and are now odds on to make a ton of money out of what is most accessable anime series created in recent times.

There is no doubt that Naruto's potential success will be a massive turning point for the Western anime industry. It is one of the few series with the potential to create hundreds of devoted anime fans over-night. All there is do to now is to wait and see what happens, and hope for a UK release too! :)

I agree with this; Naruto has massive potential to revigorate the US anime industry. I may not be a huge fan myself (I enjoyed it but it didn't engage me massively), but it's definatly a series that almost anyone could enjoy (to a varying degree depending on the viewer). It seems to be particularly good at converting innocent people to the world of anime, and due to it's accessability is as good a gateway as any. I doubt this the alter the industry signifcantly, but instead revitalize it.

Back