MVM snap up Samurai 7 for UK release

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In the forthcoming (sixth) issue of NEO magazine, MVM have apparently revealed that they have acquired Gonzo's Samurai 7 anime series (futuristic 'reinterpretation' of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai) for a UK DVD release.

Also, according to the ever-reliable Pinnacle Vision, Animazing's MD Geist Director's Cut has been set with a UK release date of the 15th of August.

Not a show im interested in , but certainly expected MVM to announce this sooner or later. They seem to be getting the distribution rights for pretty much all Geneon and Funimation's major releases. Which is of course great news for UK anime.

In the six or seven episodes I've seen of Samurai 7, it was not particularly outstanding. Being a high budget Gonzo production, the animation is a good standard for a TV series, but the story didn't retain the gritty, dark style of Kurosawa's classic and the characters were rather dull, cliche creations. It was good fun though and I'm sure the UK release should sell well for MVM. Good news.

Paul said:
In the six or seven episodes I've seen of Samurai 7, it was not particularly outstanding. Being a high budget Gonzo production, the animation is a good standard for a TV series, but the story didn't retain the gritty, dark style of Kurosawa's classic and the characters were rather dull, cliche creations. It was good fun though and I'm sure the UK release should sell well for MVM. Good news.

It picks up around 8 or 9 and turns into a really great show, admittly not as good as the movie but well worth watching. I had planned to order the R1 release but looks like i wont have to bother now :D

im definatly interested in this one. iv seen the first few eps and i enjoyed it, and also since its by Gonzo...... its a must. Gonzo is my favourite studio.

Back