Musashi's film creators interview

chaos

The Boss
Production IG published an interview with director Mizuho Nishikubo, writer Mamoru Oshii and the rock singer Shigeru Izumiya about their upcoming film - <b>Musashi: The Dream of the Last Samurai</b>.

<ul>&ldquo;<b>Why Musashi and his The Book of Five Rings?</b>
<i>Oshii: I have always had great interest in Musashi. He's a hugely popular figure, everybody knows him, even outside of Japan. But I'd rather say, people believe they know about him. In fact, most of what people "know" about Musashi comes from Eiji Yoshikawa's novel, Miyamoto Musashi, that was written more than 70 years ago, and that was also the base for a live-action film trilogy. Both novel and movie trilogy were very influential, but if you do some research, you can easily understand that the portrayal in the novel is quite different from the historical truth, thus from the image of Musashi as commonly perceived on popular level. So I felt like I wanted to tell about the real Miyamoto Musashi. And I'm sure that very few people have actually read The Book of Five Rings.</i></ul>

<a href="http://www.productionig.com/contents/works_sp/69_/s08_/000936.html">Read the full Interview here</a>.

Back