MS Gundam earns a Hollywood adaptation?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18904">Ain't it Cool News</a> are reporting that a Hollywood live-action adaptation of Mobile Suit Gundam is being developed.

The article, having quoted Mobile Suit Gundam's creator Yoshiyuki Tomino, is stating that this movie is being produced by a "a big Hollywood studio in association with Bandai and Sunrise". Providing that this rumour proves to be true (we wait with baited breath for official confirmation), this will no doubt become one of the many highly anticipated live-action anime adaptations announced in recent years; sitting alongside the likes of Evangelion and Battle Angel.

I only hope this will be better than G-Saviour... Still, if Tomino stays more involved with this one I have high hopes - even if it is Live-action.

Italian Z-Gundam??? Is he referring to the movies I wonder, or the translation? Hmmm... Nope, sorry, can't picture Char Aznable with an Italian voice.

I think it can work quite well. There never has been a successful live-action mech movie before (unless you include Star Wars! ;) ) but there is potential there and an already devoted fan base.

Looking forward to hearing what else will be planned for this movie. Judging by the massive amount of story in Gundam, they could have trouble fitting it all into one standard movie.

I think it can work quite well.
You never saw G-Saviour, did you? *Shudder*

But yeah, I agree that if done properly this could work quite well. There's supposed to be a Battletech (Mechwarrior) movie in the works as well, so it'll be interesting to see if Mecha movies can work. Heres hoping!

I remember hearing somewhere (can't for the life of me think where) that there was a live-action Hollywood Gundam movie in development in the 1980s.

Anyway, this could be interesting. I don't expect it to follow any of the extablished storylines though; it wouldn't surprise me if they took the basic setup from one of the series' and spun off in a totally new direction. Hardcore fans might get up in arms about it, but personally I think that'd be the best way to handle it.

1980s? Are you sure? There may well have been, but the only Live-action movie that got produced was G-Saviour (1999).

I don't doubt for a minute they'd try and spin the plotline off on a different tangent, but somehow this doesn't bother me so much. For a series as big and extensive as Gundam, there is no way to physically condense a storyline into a couple of hours (The trilogy movies that condensed the first 42 episode series were at least 7 hours total in length). If Tomino chooses the right director, or heads it himself, this could work out well. Hey, I'm being optimistic for a change!

Rurouni H said:
1980s? Are you sure? There may well have been, but the only Live-action movie that got produced was G-Saviour (1999).
As far as I know, they never made it past the early negotiation stages. Like I said, I can't remember where I heard that though; I might be thinking of something else entirely.

I'm not entirely sure myself. Since a few Animes were adapted for American TV in the 80s its possible. At any rate: Avoid G-Saviour. Worst. Live-Action. EVER.

They could do a side story set during the one year war. That could be interesting
There are plenty of side stories to the One Year War (War in the Pocket, 08th MS, Blue Destiny, and all the Sega Saturn and PS2 titles that never got released outside Japan), so another one wouldn't hurt I guess.

???

Onime no H?
BEING OPTIMISTIC????
Who are you and what have you done with the REAL H!

G-Saviour - second worst live action ever.
Sailor moon - torture in liquid tv form.

I'm not putting much faith in that aint it cool site. There were enough spelling errors to make me wonder.
Bets on live action Endless Waltz?

Dude, Tomino himself is actually involved with this one, at least it seems that way. Of course I'm optimistic!

I doubt it will be one of the alternate universes, even if Wing is insanely popular. Tomino is old-skool Gundam, remember? I could be wrong of course, but that seems the most logical.

So I take it you aren't overly ecstatic about it then?

Turn A is UC... technically... Well, it is a continuity of every Gundam before SEED (I've seen one episode so I can't really comment. I know the storyline though).

<a href="http://aeug.blogspot.com/" target="blank">Gunota Headlines</a> have just reported that the rumour isn't true, as Tomino has not been in Italy recently. Damn. On the plus side, Tomino is working on the Zeta Movies, which is cool.

Yes, yes, Temjin, you were right this time my friend. Thats what I get for being optimistic *sigh*... at least I still have SEED Destiny...

Back