Marimite

Colin

Kiznaiver
Maria-sama ga Miteru ("The Virgin Mary is Watching", or "Marimite") is a drama anime from last year. It's largely about Yumi Fukuzawa and the students at Lillian Academy, in particular the school council (the Yamayurikai).

It's a very slow paced drama set in an all-girls' school, so don't expect any action beyond the occasional slap (well, and a little kendo). It's also packed full of lesbian subtext (or, in many cases, text), so you'll have to like that sort of thing; lets face it, who doesn't?

There's also a sequel, Marimite ~ Haru ("spring"), though I've not finished watching that yet.

I've had this series for ages but never watched it. I think I bought it before I found out what it was about but hey! I may just give it a go anyway :lol: (I bought it because the characters looked interesting!).

Sounds ... interesting. My reservation stems for a few things, but the name really says it all, Marmite 'love it/ hate it' as the slogan goes. My greatest reservation is that it seems to stray into Megatokyo terretory, ie lost of plot, but never really gets anywhere. The other is how, well, dramatic it is, is it all drama, or are there moments (or more) of humour, romance, etc.

The plot doesn't really "go" anywhere as such; it's just about their school life, so nothing world-changing happens. It's based off a long series of short novels, so it essentially a set of a few plot arcs of two or three episodes each.

There's a fair bit of humour to go with the drama, as well as a bit of romance (or a lot, depending on how finely tuned your yuri-goggles are).

Oh, and you should be warned that the first episode or two can be confusing, mostly because there are lots of characters all at once, most of whom have titles in French.

Colin said:
The plot doesn't really "go" anywhere as such; it's just about their school life, so nothing world-changing happens. It's based off a long series of short novels, so it essentially a set of a few plot arcs of two or three episodes each.
Wasn't expecting them to save the world in tight leather or anything, just that things move on, unlike Piro taking 600 pages to get Kimko's number let alone ask here out, which we saw coming after about 100 pages.

Back