Manga recommendations

If you liked Nana, go get Vertical's release of Paradise Kiss. It has the inherent advantage over Nana in that it's actually ended, but it's a superb series too. Always makes me wish I'd gone into fashion design every time I read it.

Can you list some of your favourite anime as well? You might well find that some of them have manga too. 3 titles isn't a lot to give recommendations based off so if you could suggest a few more things you like that'd help.

I agree with what st_owly has said.

Anime is a great way to find new manga to try. Mostly because anime is so much easier to sample. A vast majority of manga I own have been bought after enjoying an anime.

Well, all of those have/are based on manga apart from Steins; Gate. Could be wrong on that front though as I don't know much about the show. If you liked Chobits, give Angelic Layer a try. It's a sort of prequel that's set in the same universe. I'll try and suggest only things which are available legally, but if you don't mind scans, let me know

You seem to like stuff set in the real(ish) world, so perhaps give Space Brothers a try. The manga and the anime are both on Crunchyroll.

For something like Paradise Kiss and Nana, give Bokura ga Ita a try. It seems like a cute shojo romance at first, but it gets surprisingly dark. Give Honey and Clover a go as well. I found the art took some getting used to, but it's really well written. And it's not set in high school.

Manga Dogs is a pretty self aware parody of the manga artist life, so if you enjoyed Bakuman and Genshiken, give it a go.

If I think of any more, I'll add them.

If you like Chobits I'd recommend Rozen Maiden (I recommend it to everyone) - the character designs are similar-ish, basically lots of cute girls in frilly dresses. The plot has some quite nice gothic undertones and if you like the concept of living-dolls/magical contracts, then you'll probably enjoy it.

It's out of print now (via Tokypop), so some of the later volumes are quite expensive, but if you can find any of them for cheap, it's worth a punt.

I hear monster is a great manga.... I'm not saying this because I love the anime... but I heard it from a bunch of people that it's amazing

Back