Manga Max magazine to return to UK shelves?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According Animetion.co.uk, the latest issue of UK sci-fi magazine "Dreamwatch" comes with a free anime and manga supplement going by the name of "Manga Max". Compared with NEO magazine, "Manga Max" is said to be more aimed at the experienced anime fan (and features for example, an imported DVD section).

In the past (mid to late 90s) "Manga Max" was a fully fledged UK anime magazine run by the enthusiastic duo of Jonathan Clements and Helen McCarthy.

Whether or not this new version of "Manga Max" becomes a regular supplement with Dreamwatch or even a magazine in itself remains to be seen.

sweet I'm gonna have to take a trip to Borders this week and pick up a copy. I hope its good and it becomes a regular release

Manga Max was great! No disrespect to Neo or anything, but I need something for the more cynical fan!

I'll definitely be checking this out!

(it's source was Manga UK? That's a bit odd)

I think it's great to see the magazine industry 'testing the water' now that anime and manga is gaining in popularity. I don't see it as an attempt to undercut NEO either since the target readership is somewhat different.

Not one but two good magazines aimed at UK anime fans can only be agood thing - here's to Manga Max's return!

At first I thought this was the opposite to Mangaminx, being some stupid joke. ">_>

It seems to be a good sign since I don't really know what all the fuss is about. -_-

Rukario said:
It seems to be a good sign since I don't really know what all the fuss is about. -_-
Manga Max was cool because it was the only thing coming out in the late 1990s as the anime scene was very quiet. (we're talking about 2 VHS releases a month - a very slow time for anime fans) We needed something to pull as through! (Titan publishing pulled the plug on it at issue 20 in the year 2000 and we still had to wait a good 3 or so years before the DVD market arrived... which sucked)

I was also good because it didn't love everything just for being anime and was quite willing to say something was crap if it deserved it, even in the news section before stuff had been released. It had more anime and manga articles than Neo currently does as it didn't really go for the live action side of things either. The letters page had a bit of a rep as being a battleground as any fans that moaned or whinged about the mag would be taken out by the replies it dished out. (gotta respect Jonathan Clements for being one to always speak his mind... :lol: )

Oh and it reviewed US and Aus releases because it had worldwride distribution. It wasn't just a UK mag...

I still have a few old copies floating around the house somewhere ^__^
It was a pretty good mag in it's day and something I might check out to see how it's changed!!

I remember Manga Max, well actually I vaguely remember it because I started buying it just a couple of issues before they stopped publishing it. Which was bit of a downer,since there was no other source of anime news for me back then since I wasn`t on the net back then.

I take it that our Mr. Clements won't have much to do with it this time, or has he quit contributiing to NEO then? Also if our market here in the UK is as small as some would have us think, (being not worthy of Sony's Anime + and all :roll: ) I can't see how it could support more than one dedicated magazine and still make a profit IMO.

Mohawk52 said:
I take it that our Mr. Clements won't have much to do with it this time, or has he quit contributiing to NEO then?
He's no involved at all it seems. Andrew Osmond is the man in charge here, but he's been around the blocks a few times as well so it's not as bad is it could have been.
Laughing Manji said:
Has anyone got a copy yet (or is it not out?).
I have it and it's quite cool. It's held onto the magazine by a paper wrap around and not sealed in, so be careful you actually get it properly as it's loose and prone to getting torn and such. Only 16 pages though as it's a freebie so it's not really worth the £3.75 if you don't want the Dreamwatch magazine you're paying for. About 5/6 pages of averts. 2 pages of news, 4/5 pages of features and 3 pages of reviews (American and UK).

Ushio said:
I have it and it's quite cool. It's held onto the magazine by a paper wrap around and not sealed in, so be careful you actually get it properly as it's loose and prone to getting torn and such. Only 16 pages though as it's a freebie so it's not really worth the £3.75 if you don't want the Dreamwatch magazine you're paying for. About 5/6 pages of averts. 2 pages of news, 4/5 pages of features and 3 pages of reviews (American and UK).

I just got Dreamwatch today for the Manga Max mag. One thing I did find a bit disappointing.... I couldn`t find a single word anywhere in either Manga Max or Dreamwatch as to wheather it was a one off supplement or if it be a continous thing or if Manga Max was actually coming back to stay for good in its own right as more fill out magazine.

Good to see the reviews of both region 1 and 2 dvds in the mag, a few little articles but nothing really major to shout about. But if they do make it a proper mag I think I pretty much be buying Manga Max over Neo anyday of the week. Neo pads itself out a bit too much with stuff I just got no interest in.

Anyways couldn`t this been attached to SFX a far superior sci-fi mag and who actually pays so attention to anime every now and again. Plus have a section sponsored by ADV. I`ve yet to see one article in Dreamwatch about anime or manga, which is reason why I tend to not buy Dreamwatch as a whole. So found this couling rather odd, heres praying to any diety going that Manga Watch is not a Dreamwatch supplement and be a mag in its own right.

Lost Magi said:
Anyways couldn`t this been attached to SFX a far superior sci-fi mag and who actually pays so attention to anime every now and again.

SFX is a Future Publishing Magazine, while Dreamwatch is from Titan, it's unlikely that a Titan Supplement would be included with a magazine from another publisher.

Mathew said:
Lost Magi said:
Anyways couldn`t this been attached to SFX a far superior sci-fi mag and who actually pays so attention to anime every now and again.

SFX is a Future Publishing Magazine, while Dreamwatch is from Titan, it's unlikely that a Titan Supplement would be included with a magazine from another publisher.

I usually don`t pay attention to publishing houses. So ignore last comment... well actually don`t SFX is still superior LOL.

I guess i will have another magazine to pick up from now on, if it's any good ;), though it's great that Dreamwatch are doing this, might spark the interest of a few non-anime fans who read the magazine aswell

Back