Manga Artwork

The art styles of various manga can be extremely different, from the minimalistic to the supremely detailed. What type of art in manga do you all enjoy?

I love extremely detailed manga for the artwork, such as Alichino. Saiyuki's wrap-around covers I loved, the best part of the manga, I'd say. Berserk I love the art of, but I love Berserk anyway. Death Note is also very well illustrated, not a series that you would think of as being a piece of art, but it just seems so.

i prefer more detailed manga, because the more minimalist drawing styles allow me to read through an entire book in no time at all! detailed drawings show the artist to be really painstaking in their work, although a simpler drawing style can occasionally suit the theme or feel of the story in question.

Certainly very detailed manga capture the world far better , I am not a fan of manga's with very little background art and the like. The more detailed the art inside is the better, unless it fits in with like a simple comedy style for example. Looks like I agree with concrete badger on this one!

The characters have to be pretty :lol:
I can't read manga with ugly characters, even if they're jokey ones. I think this is why I don't like shounen manga stories and 99% of the time, I stick to shoujo. I get bored very quickly if the character design is ugly! My enjoyment of Gravitation exploded once I got past volume 4, as up to that point everyone was really yukky and I was only reading it because I'd bought all 12 volumes in one go :lol: but as soon as I got to volume 4, they got prettier and by vol 9 they are all absolutely gorgeous!

I'm the same with all my manga (and anime actually, if there isn't at least 1 pretty person, I can't watch it!).

I'm not bothered about backgrounds, although, I did notice the lack of them in Bride of Deimos, this could be the age of the manga - 1975-1977 - and I don't think they were as concerned with those details then?!

Miaka-chan said:
I'm the same with all my manga (and anime actually, if there isn't at least 1 pretty person, I can't watch it!).
Perhaps it's shallow but i'm exactly the same, and a boring anime or manga can become 1000 times better if theres a lovely bishounen :) .

I would say i also like it detailed, though i'm not sure i've read much thats been really undetailed. The story is very important, though things can be portrayed better with more detail, i think Demon Diary is lovely looking, though i probably read through the volumes the quickest out of all the series i'm reading because the dialogue seems to be quite sparce

I prefer the style of manga that comes with Love Hina, All New Tenchi Muyo and .hack//LotT mangas.
It's clear, easy to deform/make wierd emotions and it just simple, yet sweet. :)

I like it detailed in the artwork best.

I always found Chobits..well i only have the first manga, REALLY prettily (if that's a word) drawn.

I prefer a balance of the two, overly detailed mangas can feel a little cramped, the scenes tend to run into each other and you can end up with a confusing albeit extremely pretty mess of panels. Whereas the sparsely detailed and more minimalist titles can leave you wanting a bit too much.

I think Yukiri Sugasaki's work on DNAngel and Brain Powered is amongst the best I've seen, manages to stay just the right side of simple, good flow, nice clean layout and the detailing doesn't impede on the story. The more obscure Clamp works such as Tokyo Babylon and Legal Drug also manage strike the perfect balance between stark minimalism and insanely detailed background work.

Back