Magazine Project- Help Wanted!

JamesB405

Hikikomori
I've been thinking about setting up a UK based magazine devoted to the printing of manga-styled webcomics and amateur graphic novels. I know for a fact that a lot of UK otakus have a dream to move to Japan and become a manga artist, but the harsh truth is that there aren't really any popular manga created by westerners in Japan, and many otakus give up the dream in the end. If a magazine appeared closer to home that could print their work, it would be a godsend to not only the artists, but also to the industry.
We in the UK have a very limited choice of manga magazines, with only two names springing to mind (Neo and MyM), neither of which are devoted to printing manga the same way Shonen Jump is. If SJ came to the UK shelves it would hugely increase the popularity of manga here, and would greatly help the industry, but that certainly doesn't look like it's happening any time soon.
I do plan on going through with this, and I already have several artists willing to let me print their work in the magazine. The Dubious Company have let me use Licensed Heroes and there is Tiichiwanawichi's Let's Fight! series.
If you do decide that you want to help, then just know that we won't be instantly rolling in piles of money right away- if ever at all. The primary focus of the whole project is to increase the popularity of manga in the UK, so If you will only help if there is a promise of money, then don't even bother asking.

Any contributions, criticisms, speculations or queries are welcomed. I do hope you will consider helping with this project :)

The UK WSJ is a bit different though as it's just a translation of the Japanese one. An outlet for UK artists to collaborate on something themselves sounds like an interesting idea. It would probably not be profitable ^^; but I can remember a time where I'd be able to find UK-made fanzines and what were effectively original doujinshi on the shelves of Tower Records and other pop culture stores. Why not?

Have you spoken to people like Sweatdrop Studios? They've published some anthologies IIRC, so they might be interested in talking to you.

The only other thing I'd add is that if it goes ahead, I'd personally like the editing to be strong to prevent all of the stories being Shounen Jump inspired action series packed full of every trope in the book. It should have its own identity instead of trying to imitate something else, otherwise there's no real reason to buy the local version over the Japanese manga magazines. I'm just saying this as a lot of younger 'OEL manga' creators seem to fall into the same trap and I find their work difficult to enjoy; they get too caught up in the 'manga' label and forget to concentrate on making a good comic.

R

Myself and my brother are both working on our own manga/comic, so we would probably be interested in this further down the line.

Thanks for the responses :)
I didn't quite make myself very clear as to what I meant by help. I want people who will be okay with doing boring things like page layouts and advertising. I know it sounds tedious, but it would be a huge help if you would consider it.
I am only really looking for two people to help at the moment. A designer for the pages, the ads and the cover, and an editor to help with putting the comics into the actual magazine. I would be an editor also, because one editor is not enough manpower to get a monthly/bimonthly magazine in on time.
I have several friends who I can get help with on things like putting the strips into the templates and other miscellaneous tasks, who would be paid for from my cut of the total income, if we ever reach that stage.

Also, I am still in high school, so if you consider that a prominent factor in your decision of whether to help or not, I do understand. I wouldn't trust a 15 year old with my potential career either.

Back