Luigi's Mansion 2

MaxonTreik

Chuunibyou
My copy arrived today! Luigi's Mansion 2 has been one of my most anticipated 3DS games. So far, I have to say it has been one of the few games that has made my 3DS a worthwhile purchase. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Context: I never played Luigi's Mansion on the CG--for whatever reason it didn't appeal--and only bought the sequel because in the two months I've owned a 3DS, I've played two games for a total of 15 hours on it.

So I don't know whether it's because my perspective is skewed due to low expectations, or wanting to justify to myself the purchase of a console I've barely used (though I expect Fire Emblem will handily take care of that), but the five or so hours I've spent with Luigi's Mansion 2 have been an absolute joy. What I've enjoyed most is the clever interaction with the environment for puzzle solving and treasure hunting, and how the developer continually gives me new things to play with. Aside from that, it's an exceptionally polished game (as you'd expect from Nintendo) with some beautiful animation and lighting, while everything from the ghosts to the visual design of the mansions are full of character and charm.

My only complaint is the total lack of mid-missions saves. I don't know if the developer are going for the "hardcore old-skool" thing, or just want to pad out the game's already generous length, but there's really no excuse for not having at least a suspend option so that if I'm stuck in the middle of a 40-minute mission I can save and quit and play something else.

fabricatedlunatic said:
My only complaint is the total lack of mid-missions saves. I don't know if the developer are going for the "hardcore old-skool" thing, or just want to pad out the game's already generous length, but there's really no excuse for not having at least a suspend option so that if I'm stuck in the middle of a 40-minute mission I can save and quit and play something else.
That has been rather annoying. I've had to leave my 3DS in sleep mode just to stop having to start a mission all over again.

fabricatedlunatic said:
and only bought the sequel because in the two months I've owned a 3DS, I've played two games for a total of 15 hours on it.
Are you sure the financially sound choice here wasn't to sell the 3DS rather than buy more things for it that you will just use to justify the initial spend? :p

ilmaestro said:
Are you sure the financially sound choice here wasn't to sell the 3DS rather than buy more things for it that you will just use to justify the initial spend? :p
Nah, because I bought the 3DS primarily for Fire Emblem (and another couple of forthcoming games). In January Play were doing the MK7 bundle for a stonkingly good £143, and Nintendo were running their free game promotion (got me some 3D Land), hence buying it then instead of waiting. I thought I'd have played more MK7 online but I'm sure I'll go back to it.

Anyway, enough about that. LM2 continues to be excellent, though my lament for the lack of a save function grew more despairing after I died on a boss and had to repeat the entire mission. Fortunately you get through them much quicker when you know what to do, but really, there's no justifiable reason for making players have to go over old ground like this.

Back