Learning Japanese

same here lol

and on the subject i just started learning japanese a few days ago.
im using those audio cd's to start of, and they are very easy.
the ones i am using are from a company called ''Pimsleur''
*COUGH* torrent *COUGH*

If anybody is considering using Rosetta Stone; don't. It's useless.

It'll only help you if you need to expand your vocab, it does nothing for complete beginners.

Ah whoopse! Sorry, I don't know why that happenned - the web browser screen went blank on posting.php, so I assumed that the message simply hadn't gone through. Guess the browser must have tried to resend the data over and over....

Sorry!

I keep on meaning to buy a few 'How to' books, yet keep forgetting at the last minute. :B

Anyways, I know bits, but only from what I've learnt from watching subbed Anime. :|

Nyu said:
Usefull Japanese Phrases;

Do you speak English
Eigo o hanasemasuka
英語を話せますか

why would you need to know how to say that as if you said it in english and they didnt understand you it means they dont lol

Nyu said:

Do you speak English
Eigo o hanasemasuka
英語を話せますか

You'd only say it like that if the person had already been established, otherwise it'd be:

Anata wa eigo o hanashimasu ka?
あなた は えいご を 話します か

EDIT: 英語を話せますか actually means: You speak English?

Whats The "X" Mean in Japanese, because i have seen it around a few times and thinking it means "And" or something similar.

Hyaku said:
Nyu said:

Do you speak English
Eigo o hanasemasuka
英語を話せますか

You'd only say it like that if the person had already been established, otherwise it'd be:

Anata wa eigo o hanashimasu ka?
あなた は えいご を 話します か

EDIT: 英語を話せますか actually means: You speak English?

I've always thought it was "eigo ga hanashimasu ka?".

In a sentence where the subject of the sentence is undefined it would be "Anata wa eigo ga hanashimasu ka?".

Jayme said:
Whats The "X" Mean in Japanese, because i have seen it around a few times and thinking it means "And" or something similar.

"And" is "to". I've never seen X personally...

Hyaku said:
Jayme said:

I've never come across an X before 0_0

Prime example i can think of is, Romeo X Juliet.

there are a few others if i bothered to actually think about it.

Jayme said:
Hyaku said:
Jayme said:

I've never come across an X before 0_0

Prime example i can think of is, Romeo X Juliet.

there are a few others if i bothered to actually think about it.

Nope, it doesn't mean and. I think that's just the creator's way of replacing 'and', to make the title less simplistic, but that's just my theory. =S

X's aren't used in Japanese, because there's no syllabary for them.

SailorCalibur said:
Hmm, i was learning Japanese once in my life..but i stopped...now i'm learning German. o_o haha

I went to Germany once for a week last year, and all the older men seem to sound very angry and pissed off. >_>

I recall a few pieces of German I took in year 9:

Mein geburtstag, ist am sechsten januar

Hast du geschwister?

Ich habe eine fuller

That's all I got >_>

Back