Katanagatari Volume 2 Review

Demelza

Adventuring Alchemist
AUKN Staff
Katanagatari continues to offer an enjoyable read, the likes of which only NISIOISIN consistently brings to the table. This collection does a much better job of differentiating the stories from one another, which lends itself better to the omnibus format.

Continue reading...

The only real disappointment this time around is Volume 4, because we don’t get to read about Shichika fighting Sabi. We know the result of the battle but we never see it happen, and because it has a lasting impact on the story, I was upset by this. It’s understandable, given the schedule NISIOISIN had given himself when writing the series, but it’s a pity nonetheless.

I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, so I'm not entirely sure how the novel handles it, but the Sabi fight is just one big joke by Isin. They constantly hype up how strong he is, how it's going to be Shichika's biggest challenge yet. In the anime, the end of episode 3 has a next episode preview showing you glimpses of the (ridiculous) fight to get you excited, which is all completely unique animation that isn't actually seen in the next episode: he's already been defeated offscreen when episode 4 starts, with the characters doing the whole "whew, that sure was tough!" shtick.

As I said, I don't know how the novel does it yet, but personally, I thought the whole thing was hilarious, and is pretty in-keeping with the subversive, meta style of writing that Isin is known for.

I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, so I'm not entirely sure how the novel handles it, but the Sabi fight is just one big joke by Isin. They constantly hype up how strong he is, how it's going to be Shichika's biggest challenge yet. In the anime, the end of episode 3 has a next episode preview showing you glimpses of the (ridiculous) fight to get you excited, which is all completely unique animation that isn't actually seen in the next episode: he's already been defeated offscreen when episode 4 starts, with the characters doing the whole "whew, that sure was tough!" shtick.

As I said, I don't know how the novel does it yet, but personally, I thought the whole thing was hilarious, and is pretty in-keeping with the subversive, meta style of writing that Isin is known for.

The book does a similar thing, especially with the 'that was tough!' stuff after the fight. It was funny for sure, but hearing that just made me want to read about it more.

Sounds like it's something that came off better in the anime than in the novel, at least I think visually it would have been funnier.

Back