Is the anime bluray (valkyrie drive) I just bought a bootleg?

Herano

Completely Average High School Student
I just bought a Bluray of Valkyrie Drive (dont judge me:p) on ebay and I wonder if its official. The insert looks the same as the official (at least the front, cant really find a picture of the back), but everything is a bit blurry, enough to make me doubt. The disks look legit and it also has an insert with a digital version on funimation (can't sadly test that one). Its seal had the text 'disk made in mexico' on it. Has anyone experience with this release and if so, is your cover also a bit low res? Help would be very much appreciated!

Seller is called 'Import CDs CA'. They did look legit to me...

Last edited:
I just bought a Bluray of Valkyrie Drive (dont judge me:p) on ebay and I wonder if its official. The insert looks the same as the official (at least the front, cant really find a picture of the back), but everything is a bit blurry, enough to make me doubt. The disks look legit and it also has an insert with a digital version on funimation (can't sadly test that one). Has anyone experience with this release and if so, is your cover also a bit low res? Help would be very much appreciated!

Seller is called 'Import CDs CA'. They did look legit to me...

I don't have experience with your particular release. However, fake blu-ray discs usually have a darker data side than a real blu-ray disc, see below as an example (not my picture):

1722610355470.png

The eBay seller has 99% positive feedback with nearly 550k items sold, so if they were sending out fakes I'd imagine they'd have a much lower feedback rating. I can't see anything in their eBay feedback from customers about anything fake or bootleg either. Also, was the price you paid suspiciously lower than what you would expect to pay for that set?

In my experience, you tend to only see fakes for more popular series like DBZ, FMA, etc (not to say there aren't fakes of lesser known series out there).

It's not the same release, but the disc printing (albeit not the inlays) on my DBZ: Movie collection blu-rays are pretty low resolution/pixelated, but they're definitely legit.

Do you have any pictures you could show us of the discs and inlays?

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I guess this is probably real then. I might just be a bit suspicious^^. I'll post some pictures, but i only have a crappy camera, so I'm not sure if it helps. On my picture it actually looks a lot sharper than irl.

SAM_1256.JPGSAM_1258.JPG

The disks don't have a dark dataside. The price was also fine:). Thanks for your help! I wasn't really sure how advanced the bootlegs where becoming. I just bought a second hand tenchi muyo special dvd that was a bootleg (looked legit at first glance, but was missing the ), so its a bit on my mind.

Last edited:
I am a fellow owner of this high quality title (...) so I checked and while mine is probably older - it came with a slipcover - the sleeve underneath isn't perfectly crisp. Not as pixellated as the worst I've seen but it doesn't look as though the lines are pin sharp. The 'made in Mexico' thing is also normal for Funimation discs. Most fakes just pretend to be foreign editions rather than slavishly reproducing tiny details like that and the code insert, so I think you're good to watch your ridiculous fighting show :D

R

That looks pretty legit to me. Given the eBay seller's feedback, the fact there's a Funimation digital code in there, no dark data side, I'm pretty confident that's a real set.

If you want to be super sure, you can look for the barcode on the data side, on the outer ring:

1722612426137.png

The reason why fake blu-rays have a darker data side is because the bootleggers tend to burn data onto cheap BD-R discs and they almost never have the ring/barcode that you can see here, as it's a result of a professional pressing.

I am a fellow owner of this high quality title (...) so I checked and while mine is probably older - it came with a slipcover - the sleeve underneath isn't perfectly crisp. Not as pixellated as the worst I've seen but it doesn't look as though the lines are pin sharp. The 'made in Mexico' thing is also normal for Funimation discs. Most fakes just pretend to be foreign editions rather than slavishly reproducing tiny details like that and the code insert, so I think you're good to watch your ridiculous fighting show :D

R
Great! Thank you! Yes, it does not look extremely blurry, but just enough that it made me unsure. A pity that its this way, but at least that's how its suppose to be:p.

Back