Image quality or subtitle (and maybe audio) quality?

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
So I have Haibane Renmei on DVD from MVM, which has an NTSC-PAL standards conversion, which is pretty smooth, but has a smidge of ghosting and is not as clear as it could be. But it has nice clear subtitles, and it also captions more of the onscreen text. It's also got a higher bitrate for the audio at 224kbps.

And I have Haibane Renmei on DVD from Sony Universal, which is in the original NTSC format, which doesn't have the ghosting, is just as smooth, and has a smidge more detail. But the subtitles are in a smaller, blockier font, and not all of the onscreen text is translated. And the audio is at 196kbps.

I watched half of episode 1 in MVM, and half in Sony Universal, and I can't decide between the two, nicer subtitles and crisper audio or better image.

Any help with this nerdish 1st world quandary?

Hmmmm tough one... I'm annoyed by the ghosting of NTSC-PAL conversions but I also dislike untranslated onscreen text.

Proposed solution:

1. Get a computer with two DVD drives, play both discs at the same time.
2. Use the Aussie version as your main one to watch the video.
3. Sync the UK version up for the higher audio bitrate.
4. Eliminate the subtitling issue by watching the dub :p (I have never seen Haibane Renmei so I have no idea how the dub fares, it's probably fine though).
5. Enjoy Haibane Renmei! Until it inevitably goes out of sync because the timing between starting the episodes simultaneously wasn't right (and it's NEVER right).

If I had to pick one, I'd pick the MVM one because the onscreen text thing would just bug me more throughout, while I'd get used to the ghosting after a while.

I've heard the dub is an improvement because the Japanese voices can sometimes be a bit monotone. I hope to get the set one day so I can see for myself.

Back