Ichi ban SLAM DUNK!

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
I seem to have read in few places now, that SLAM DUNK is Japan's all time favourite and most popular manga. This surely can't be correct, can it? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Inoue fan, but how can it possibly be Japan's all time no.1 manga? I mean, first of all, it seems considerably less remarkable than Inoue's later works, and second of all, it's about Basketball! I swear Basketball isn't even very popular in Japan, so how can a Manga about it be the nation's ichi ban most popular manga?? Seems totally random, although, it is Inoue I guess.

Imagine if a comic about Basketball ever became more popular than Beeno in the UK? Never.

Ah thanks. Still, the fifth most popular manga of all time being about a sport which I presume isn't especially popular in Japan does seem pretty inexplicable to me. Bloody one piece though, it's off the chart! That's just as inexplicable to me.

for a sports manga, there's a lot of character-driven stuff happening in them

also this is one of my favorites because despite the mostly young and athletic dude cast, you won't see much of the "boys love" pandering that you'd find in later stories that followed this vein... so it's just guys with pretty okay backstories and inner struggles that now have a shot at getting to the top of the high school basketball scene

Back