I just got a PS3. Help!

st_owly (witch)

Time-Traveller
So, as the title says, I have been gifted a PS3. I don't have a TV to use it with yet, that's next. But what I would like is to tap you fine folks for some game recommendations. When I lived with my ex, he had an Xbox 360 and my favourite game for that was the Fable series. I also liked Tekken and Street Fighter. I like JRPGs, and when I was a kid and had a PS1/2 I liked Spyro. I'd like to give some visual novels (I despise Clannad, just so you know) a go, but I don't know what's available and what's any good.

I got Skyrim with the console. I don't like Call of Duty and similar war shooters. I quite like zombie shootem ups though.

I've a fairly tight budget, so I can't afford anything new and shiny, but feel free to recommend them and I'll just wait till they get cheaper.

I'd definitely recommend getting a Playstation Plus subscription, you'll get a good selection of games to play every month.

The PS3 is starting to get a decent selection of JRPGs now, Tales of Graces f and Tales of Xillia are very fun, as is Ni no Kuni. I hear good things about Dragons Dogma too, but I'm only about an hour into that. I'd also recommend Journey, it's short but I thought it was absolutely astonishing, as was Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

There's a pretty good sale on Japanese games on the UK Playstation Store at the moment, check it out here!

For JRPGS I would go with the tales series and import vesperia as that's the best one in my opinion.
Another one of my favourite games for the ps3 is the Jak and daxter trilogy

Awesome, I found Skyrim a really fun game that I spent hours on. If you enjoy Skyrim, I would recommend the Fallout games for it.

I will second the Tales Of Xillia, Tales of Graces and Ni no Kuni recommendations, as they are really good games. If you haven't played Tales of Symphonia, then there is HD collection for it.

My recommendations from the top of my head are:
Heavy Rain
Beyond Two Souls
Disgaea series
The Atelier games
The Hyperdimension Neptunia games
Valkyria Chronicles
Nier
The Uncharted series
The Ratchet and Clank series
Little Big Planet series
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD collection

Rena Ryuugu said:
Awesome, I found Skyrim a really fun game that I spent hours on. If you enjoy Skyrim, I would recommend the Fallout games for it.

I will second the Tales Of Xillia, Tales of Graces and Ni no Kuni recommendations, as they are really good games. If you haven't played Tales of Symphonia, then there is HD collection for it.

My recommendations from the top of my head are:
The Uncharted series
The Ratchet and Clank series
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD collection

I agree with these, all great games.

Also some of my favourites:
The last of us
Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City
Infamous 1 & 2
Portal 2
Metal Gear Solid HD collection (MGS 2 & 3 specifically)

A few good side scrolling oldies
Ducktales remastered
Castle Crashers - PSN download only

I'd heartily recommend Ni No Kuni too. One of the last games on Ps3 I played before switching to Ps4, but one of my fondest memories of a gaming experience ever. It's a classic JRPG feel but forward thinking in that it manages to avoid too much grinding - things just flow really well, the story is stunning, and the art style is sumptuous. A real must play. It'll change your life, promise!

Definitely second the recommendations for Tales of Graces F, Valkyria Chronicles and the Metal Gear Solid HD collection.

Catherine is a fun game that's something a little different.
Agarest is an interesting JRPG series but the games are real time-consumers.

The closest thing the PS3 has to Fable is probably Yakuza 3 & 4. They're action RPGs with strong narratives, a ton of side content, and they offer a unique and fascinating insight into a side of Japan you don't often see in other games or anime. Both games include recaps of the stories of Yakuza 1 & 2, so you don't need to have played them. It may not be easy to find new copies, though.

I'm not aware of any PS3 visual novels in English but if you've played or watched Persona 4 then P4 Arena gives you both an excellent 2D fighting game and an extensive visual-novel style story mode that follows on from the end of P4. Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate is a great 3D fighter.

Tales of Symphonia, Graces F, and Xillia are all worthwhile RPGs. I'd also recommend the fantastic Valkyria Chronicles, FFX, and Atelier Ayesha.

Thanks everyone. I have Valkyria Chronicles in my Crunchyroll queue, would you all suggest I watch or play it first? Ni no Kuni intrigued me when it came out, but obviously I didn't have a PS3 then so I forgot about it. I'll look into the Tales series as well.

Away from games if you do have a Crunchyroll sub I highly suggest creating a US PSN account and downloading the Crunchyroll app (super easy, loads of YouTube guides) it is FAR superior to the xbox app and actually runs in HD :)

Edit: also get The Last of Us. Easily one of the greatest games ever made. :)

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'm not aware of any PS3 visual novels in English but if you've played or watched Persona 4 then P4 Arena gives you both an excellent 2D fighting game and an extensive visual-novel style story mode that follows on from the end of P4. Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate is a great 3D fighter.
In a similar vein, Blazblue is very much considered a VN with a fighting game mixed in as far as its single player mode goes.

st_owly said:
Thanks everyone. I have Valkyria Chronicles in my Crunchyroll queue, would you all suggest I watch or play it first? Ni no Kuni intrigued me when it came out, but obviously I didn't have a PS3 then so I forgot about it. I'll look into the Tales series as well.

I personally would suggest going for playing Valkyria Chronicles first then watching the anime, however the anime does deviate a bit from the game.

I've built up a decent collection the PS3 now myself so i think i could suggest a few here or there.
Valkyria chronicles, Fallout, Tales of series and such are all great to go with, they fit the bill for RPGS and some turn based third person strategy. If you like SRPGs at all, i do recommend considering Disgaea as well. Dragon's Dogma is a fun game to play as well.
As for fighting games, since i always do this, i suggest picking up Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. It's a great fighter that needs some more love. Ultra Street Fighter 4 gets it physical release soon i think as well? so that can always work.
Don't hesitate to tap into PS+ for those free games every month and the indie library they've built up too. Hotline Miami, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Super Meat Boy. They all are great titles to play(if you don't have a PC to play them on too).

Back