Humble and Kodansha Launch the "Manga to Anime" Manga Bundle

I'm a bit disappointed to pay so much for GitS there, but can't complain about a package like that for under £20. What's got my interest is the CBLDF. What's going on that they need a charity? Or have they always provided legal defence that way?

Makes me wonder if I'm ever actually going to have to pay for my HiDive subscription given the rate at which they're handing out discount codes. Not that I'm complaining, but I'd also kind of like it to make money and keep going...

They are the good guys, especially if you're not (and I don't think you are) a fan of censorship. And yeah, legal defence is generally quite costly.
Sounds like a worthy cause. I can't help but think of one of the guys I've seen on YT though, comic pros have threatened the publisher he was using to not publish his book and are pretty much colaberating with some store owners not to stock his book, all because he has a YT channel that he uses as a critic. I would say they are going against his rights to publish and sell his book but I imagine it's more of a prosecution case, as that doesn't really show that he needs to legally defend anything.

I think I know the exact situation you're referring to. Yeah, the CBLDF really just deals with cases where the authorities are attempting to suppress freedom of speech (which is as they point out is contrary to the 1st Amendment and therefore itself against the law in the US). There isn't much anyone can do if private businesses simply refuse to publish or stock your work, as they're within their rights to do so. If it was being prevented from being published or sold by the legal authorities then yeah, he'd have a case, but no-one's actually stopping him from self publishing or distributing his work. I think in this particular case it's more just a case of someone making too many enemies in the industry, who are then not particularly well disposed towards him or his work, even if it's not in fact particularly objectionable.

I think I know the exact situation you're referring to. Yeah, the CBLDF really just deals with cases where the authorities are attempting to suppress freedom of speech (which is as they point out is contrary to the 1st Amendment and therefore itself against the law in the US). There isn't much anyone can do if private businesses simply refuse to publish or stock your work, as they're within their rights to do so. If it was being prevented from being published or sold by the legal authorities then yeah, he'd have a case, but no-one's actually stopping him from self publishing or distributing his work. I think in this particular case it's more just a case of someone making too many enemies in the industry, who are then not particularly well disposed towards him or his work, even if it's not in fact particularly objectionable.
It is true that private businesses can do whatever they want when it comes to stocking/publishing but I'd still think he'd have a case for anti competitive practices and anti consumer (some people who actually buy comics and who've heard of the book have been turned away from shops that don't stock it). There's no solid reason to refuse his work though, even if he doesn't have a defensible position for the CBLDF they'll still say he's just a critic, to go against someone who exercises their freedom to criticise isn't a very strong reason. Hell, the guy shows the clear infighting of those who work in the industry and none of their work is pulled off the shelves

Back