Huge Japanese publisher Kodansha sets-up shop in the US

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
As the Western manga industry further establishes itself with consumers, more and more Japanese publishers are taking a firmer grip with their international sales. <a href="http://www.animenation.net/blog/2008/07/02/kodansha-establishes-american-publishing-subsidiary/">The latest manga label to be announced</a> is <em><strong>Kodansha USA</strong></em>, which began operations on July 1 with $2 million to spend. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodansha">According to Wikipedia</a>, Kodansha is the largest publisher in Japan, with many of their past manga series already published in the US by Del Rey and in the UK by Tanoshimi, including the likes of Negima, Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and Basilisk. Therefore, this news immediately brings into question the future of the likes of Del Rey, as almost their entire output consists of Kodansha's manga, and as Kodansha are themselves setting up a publishing office in the US, it seems unlikely that they will continue to sell-off their most popular titles to their now rivals.

It's a bit worrying, considering I'm collecting the Tsubasa and XXXHolic books, but assuming Tanoshimi isn't too connected to Del Rey it should not affect us in Britian, right?

In any case, I wish them luck.

Kodansha have actually had publishing houses in Europe and the US for some years, which is why I am relatively surprised to find that they only now came up with this thought. It probably has something to do with the current financial pinch the world is going through, which not only will hit sales of manga in the US and Europe but also the value of licences. In that light it makes economic sense for them to cut out the middle man and maximise profits provided they can get their product (line-up and overall quality) right.

I have a strange fondness for the likes of Del Rey and Tanoshimi, it would be a shame to see them go down. =[ Especially since i was sent a free copy of Ghost Hunt 9 to review by Tanoshimi. =] There's nothing better than free goods.

I would like to think that Del Ray and Kodansha will stick together if not just for translations and junk.

I meen, Kodansha can't be Toei level stupid, can they?

Back