"How manga is conquering Britain" on Times Online

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The Times Online have recently published "<a href="http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2645154.ece">How manga is conquering Britain</a>", an article by manga expert Paul Gravett.

Gravett specifically notes the growing influence of manga on Brittish youngsters, going so far as to suggest that "manga" can no longer be used to describe an exclusively Japanese art-form when so many foreign artists are adopting its distinctive styles as their own. Along the way, he cites the likes of Sweatdrop Studios and the Manga Shakespeare series.
"Even the Japanese Government recognises that manga can come from anywhere. In 2006 the Japanese Foreign Minister, Taro Aso, a passionate manga reader, launched an International Manga Award for a foreign artist who had best helped to spread the form. Entrants came from 25 countries, including Britain, and the winner was Lee Chi Ching, from Hong Kong. As Chigusa Ogino from the Tokyo manga agency Tuttle-Mori said: &ldquo;You don't have to have a Japanese passport to do manga.&rdquo;" [<a href="http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2645154.ece">Read the full article</a>]

Then maybe we should just stop calling it Manga? I use it to describe graphic novels that originated and were translated from Japanese but whatever. And of course the Japanese Govenment accept that manga can come from anywhere, the word Manga means comic in Japan. Should all comics and graphic novels start being called manga because I don't think it has much to do with the art style but more the point of origin.

Sy said:
Then maybe we should just stop calling it Manga? I use it to describe graphic novels that originated and were translated from Japanese but whatever. And of course the Japanese Govenment accept that manga can come from anywhere, the word Manga means comic in Japan. Should all comics and graphic novels start being called manga because I don't think it has much to do with the art style but more the point of origin.

I just say "manga" for series that are from Japan originally and "OLE *English Language original* manga for non Japanese manga. But Manga will always be Japanese and it will always be what I’ll call it >_>

Sakimori said:
Sy said:

I just say "manga" for series that are from Japan originally and "OLE *English Language original* manga for non Japanese manga. But Manga will always be Japanese and it will always be what I’ll call it >_>

I just call those that come from either here or the usa that use an eastern style comics :) Though i wonder what Japan call those comics that it imports from other countries..if it imports anything like that at all

They need a alternative name for 'manga' that originated elsewhere besides Japan.

Although, "so many foreign artists are adopting its distinctive styles as their own". Style?!?! As far as I am concerned, One Piece, Lucky Star and Evangelion [+ Many More] have no one look to them. I guess the stereotypes are there, Just like the stereotypes of American Cartoons (Eyes close together etc.)

Still, This is slowly bringing it to teh mainstream, Which can never be a bad thing I suppose.

Jayme said:
They need a alternative name for 'manga' that originated elsewhere besides Japan.
There is. They are called "comics". Manga is the word the Japanese use to describe comics and comic is the English word that describes the same thing. Manga simply defines that subset of comics that derive from Japan.

Whee, thanks for picking up on this ^_^ Paul Gravett is always so nice about us! Hmm, I just say Manga for comics that look and feel Manga - so that people know straight away the look of a comic that I am talking about. If I had about 10mins to talk at someone who wants to know, then I'd go into the subtle differences XD

There was a discussion about this on Tokyopop a while back. They used the phrase 'Global Manga' to describe Manga style outside Japan. But that's rubbish. Manga just means comic, it's simply a translation thing. It's exactly the same as Manwha from Korea and .... Manua (?) from China. I propose we just call it what it looks like, a Graphic Novel.

Jayme said:

Yes, I agree. Manga defines comics that come from Japan - bending that definition to suit comics from the West that adopt a certain kind of style associated with manga is only going to confuse some, and annoy others.

Although, "so many foreign artists are adopting its distinctive styles as their own". Style?!?! As far as I am concerned, One Piece, Lucky Star and Evangelion [+ Many More] have no one look to them. I guess the stereotypes are there, Just like the stereotypes of American Cartoons (Eyes close together etc.)

Yeah, quite unusual that they'd lump all of them together under one style.

Still, This is slowly bringing it to teh mainstream, Which can never be a bad thing I suppose.

Again, I agree! I loved SelfMadeHero's manga Shakespeare!

Oh that's an interesting article!! Thanks for the post!!

I like the word Manga though, i think i'll just use that anyway for things i see as Manga! Manga reminds me of Mango and Mango is the yummiest fruit in the world!!

Asenka said:
I like the word Manga though, i think i'll just use that anyway for things i see as Manga! Manga reminds me of Mango and Mango is the yummiest fruit in the world!!

You do know its not just a Buzz word, Its the word for a Japanese comic.

... WHy give them an alternative name? Simple Solution... Call them *Country Name* Manga

So British Manga, American Manga, French Manga? Its simple, we don't need another alternative name for Manga. Everyone calls Manga, Japanese Manga (well, I do).

Just stick a country name before Manga to define that a certain Manga originated from that country.

Chrono Demon said:
British Manga, American Manga, French Manga? Its simple, we don't need another alternative name for Manga. Everyone calls Manga, Japanese Manga (well, I do).

but isn't that like saying Japanese Japanese Graphic Novel?

man·ga
–noun a Japanese graphic novel, typically intended for adults, characterized by highly stylized art.

Since the definition of Manga only refers to Japanese Graphic Novels... there's no point in referring to all Manga style Graphic Novels worldwide as Manga since they're blatantly not from Japan. I've said this before, but Korea and China don't call it Manga, so why should we?

Back