Hi all

Hybridchild

School Idol
Well i've been posting all day so I should probably introduce myself so here goes, I'm Stephen/Hybridchild most people just call me hybrid though, I'm from Dublin which you might have guessed, I'm 22 and I've been an anime fan since i used to watch Robotech and such on Super Channel (anyone remember that) back in the 80's.

Macross is still my favorite anime but im also a huge Gundam and mecha fan and i have an ever growing collection of mecha toys and kits. Other favorites include Ghost in the Shell, Hellsing, BGC , Bebop, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Gungrave, Samurai 7, Escaflwone, Gankutsuou, Mospeada, Jin-Roh, Yukikaze and anything by Shirow.

So hi all

PS i'm dyslexic so forgive the typos

Welcome Hybrid. Gankutsuou was a fantastic series, and from Gonzo too, who would have thought it?! I still have to give Crest of the Stars a chance, I've heard good things about it.

Yeah it was very unique and well crafted even made me want to read the book again, managed to get the unabridged version this time :D 1300 pages long though :shock:

Crest of the Stars is well worth a look, if you’re a fan of hard sci-fi you'll love the space opera aspects and starship combat, if your not you'll love how characterful it is, all the characters have a great depth and the cultures have there own nuances and idiosyncrasies that make them very interesting, it’s a real shame it’s not better known.

Welcome to the forum Hybrid, some good choices of anime youve got there there youve got good taste. Any way welcome and have fun.

They're pretty good, best veiewed as an update of the UC though because they do get alot of their plot basics from MSG and Zeta. Thankfully they so strike out on there own and dont stick to the UC plot too much and they haves some nice desgin work too and great music.

Hybridchild said:
Crest of the Stars is well worth a look, if you’re a fan of hard sci-fi you'll love the space opera aspects and starship combat, if your not you'll love how characterful it is, all the characters have a great depth and the cultures have there own nuances and idiosyncrasies that make them very interesting, it’s a real shame it’s not better known.
I love it but I'm not sure if I want to leave it there (as it was a pretty good conlusion) or continue with Banner of the Stars I & II.
The Abh side of it reminds me a little of the aliens in Macross II, another overlooked title, as most people only seem to bother with Plus (does anyone know if Macross II has actually had a UK DVD release??!).

You really should continue, Banner II espically is a master peice, and III is in production at the moment.

Macross II is over looked for alot of reason's manily because its an il concieved rip off of Macross; Do You Remember Love? although it is closer in theme to the original than Plus which focuses on the mechamuch much more than any other Macross series.

The main problem with Macross II was it was made without imput from the orignial creators and people who did make it didn't really understand the earlier stuff as much as they thought they did, they also managed to contradict and in parts ignore the earlier stuff. The whole power of the Alus things and having a reporter instead of a pilot as the main character also left alot of fans confused and disapointed.

All that added up is the reason it never really done well, the terrible dub didn't help either, in japan it's almost totally ignored and Studio Nue and Big West, the makers of the rest of the Macross anime, have both done there best to try make sure its forgotten, its only Bandai who try to push it, and even they seem to have given up.

Overall its not as bad as alot of people make it out to be and alot of people write it off without even watching it which is a shame because some of them probably would love it. It does have some nice designs, the VF-2SS is a great looking Valk, the animation in it was also very good for the time and if you watch the original japanesse the characters can be really engaging.

It did get a DVD release years ago but it was dub only and has been out of print since 2002 or so. The US version is pretty rare too these days.

Hybridchild said:
You should check out Do You Remember Love? then it consentrates on the romance and melodrama aspects.
I have most Macross stories. This is another of my favourites, I almost bought a Minmei doll but she was $300 and I thought that a tad too expensive :lol:

That's not a doll, that's a figure! I meant doll with rooted hair, real clothing etc, it was vintage 80's and that's why it was so much money!!
I don't collect figures, just dolls :lol:
I get a lot of my stuff from HLJ, the Japanese make the nicest dolls ever (and I've collected dolls for over 20 years!).

Here is a pic of one of the dolls. The other is of her in her mandarin style dress. I really love these dolls, I just hate the prices of them :cry:

Yeah i know what you ment, i've seen the dolls before i just thought if you a big fan of hers you might appericate the figure, I don't like static figures myself either

Back