Geneon to return with new distribution method - Summer 2008?

Mohawk52 said:
But this is only the Geneon licenses that they had for the US before they packed up and left. They are only looking for someone to complete those contracts and fill back orders. some, if not, all were dubbed to start, and a few were in the middle of that when Geneon pulled the plug, though they did vaguely state they "would try to continue" those dubs. So basically one would have the first few volumes with duel track language, but the rest sub only. This has nothng to do with any new license that Dentsu has, or hasn't , signed for since. Once those are done and everyone has completed their collections that's your lot.
Not so. Geneon are or were looking for a US distributor for titles owned by Geneon Japan, including but not limited to all of those that were in mid-distribution when they decided to back out of the distribution market. They are looking to act very much like Kadokawa USA, as a licence-holder using a third-party distribution agent to handle DVD production, (probably) dubs and release. Geneon did not fold as a company but rather trimmed back by ceasing distribution and production.
Mohawk52 said:
Rui said:
I can't see TRSI/MB/Funimation not trying to grab the completed dubs where they exist unless Geneon for some reason makes it ridiculously hard to have them, so it's probably not worth worrying about that. Robert hinted though that it wasn't an anime company at all this time. If anything in that case the bigger worry might be no subs instead of no dubs depending on the company involved!

From the tone though I'd say he thinks the fans will be excited about it, which is always a good sign.

R
Then that could be Right Stuff as they are distributors who don't just do anime.
The intimation is that the company they are in talks with do not distribute anime at all, so Right Stuf would not count in that regard since most would count them as one of the main anime distributors.

Gawyn said:
Not so. Geneon are or were looking for a US distributor for titles owned by Geneon Japan, including but not limited to all of those that were in mid-distribution when they decided to back out of the distribution market. They are looking to act very much like Kadokawa USA, as a licence-holder using a third-party distribution agent to handle DVD production, (probably) dubs and release. Geneon did not fold as a company but rather trimmed back by ceasing distribution and production.
So remind me what were the latest titles that Geneon, or Dentsu their parent company, has announced recently? I must have missed those.

The intimation is that the company they are in talks with do not distribute anime at all, so Right Stuf would not count in that regard since most would count them as one of the main anime distributors.
Again that would point to a sub only as I can't see, in the current economic climate in the US, who would be willing to invest in a dub without having done so in the past. I'd like to see and hear it if and when it's released. :wink:

Mohawk52 said:
Gawyn said:
So remind me what were the latest titles that Geneon, or Dentsu their parent company, has announced recently? I must have missed those.
They don't need to announce them. They own the licences unless their parent company sells them on to a third party (and that would ultimately happen through Geneon). This includes anime owned by Dentus (or Geneon Japan), such as (for instance) Shakugan no Shana Second, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro Chan (I and II). As it stands, Geneon USA is acting as a licence holder on behalf of Dentsu or their subsidiary companies. On top of anime there is also a line of live action material that they could potentially hold licences for (Geneon Japan is a little more diverse than their US counterpart were).

If they haven't announced them, how do you know they have them anyway?
Look, you may be right, but until it happens, that's just wild speculation to me.

melonpan said:
Elaborate?

If you mean the source, then you'd have had to subscribe to Robert's Anime Corner Store e-mail newsletter.

Which I didn't realize until after I'd posted. Sorry about that. :oops:

Anyway, if this is true, I'll be glad to see Geneon return in any form. They were always my favorite of the R1 anime companies.

Back