Gantz

Aion

Time-Traveller
Over my seven, eight or however many years I've spent dementing myself on the internet, I've seen a lot. Much of what I've seen I'd have been better off not looking at. I mean, who would've thought an octopus would use its tentacles to sexually assault a woman, and even though horses are well endowed creatures I never would've imagined a horseman would do that to a school girl!

...I'm getting slightly off-track here. My bad. The point I'm attempting to make is that very little surprises me. But Gantz has got a fair few reactions out of me, and today in particular a fairly epic manga moment made me smile.

Before today, I'd never seen a big-breasted woman get into a kickboxing stance to take on a Buddha statue. She dodged one of the statue's many hands as it thrust a sword at her, spin-kicked the sword out of its hands and, just as the statue went to throw deadly acid at her, she kicked what was holding it up in the air; knocking it over the statue. Sadly for her, however, victory wasn't to be hers because the statue had one last trick up its sleeve: a laser beam shot out of a candle-thing (seriously).

Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to throw logic out of the window and be impressed. In the case of Gantz, though, you can't help but do it constantly. Some may call it, among other things, sexist because of Kei2/Tits getting naked and men trying to rape her on a regular basis, but that's just Gantz - it's in your face and unapologetic. The mangaka clearly doesn't have much regard for humans, and that's fine with me.

The whole Buddha mission was, from start to finish, epic. It was almost unfair how new statues kept appearing - some small, others giants. Just when the team of doomed 'heroes' thought they'd won, out came another, far more nasty statue; the last one having the ability to cut through the Gantz costumes like paper and regenerate. After many, many... MANY deaths, it got to the point where a sniper jumped out of the 'corpse' of one of the statues to surprise the near enough invincible last one; stabbing it with a spear. It was pretty ******* intense.

Moving away from the Buddha arc, what makes Gantz awesome - aside from the boobs, pubic hair, artwork, black comedy and cynicism - is its adult execution. For me, what sets apart a childish and mature title is how an author treats his/her characters. If, like in the case of many generic shounen, none of the good guys ever die because they're good, you just know it's aimed at kids/kids at heart who overlook such things. But, when an author has little issue killing off even important characters, that allows the story - to a certain extent at least - to be unpredictable. And that's exactly what older, more experienced fans desire - to be shocked. For me personally, there's little joy to be had reading 100's of manga chapters, knowing full well in in the next 100 or so very little is going to change; nowadays I NEED 'extreme' stories like Gantz to get my kicks.

The only downer of this Gantz lovin' is Dark Horse. As far as I can see, they've done a great job on the translation front (though I'd like more swearing), but that's not my issue: my issue is that only eight volumes are out. Since I now own all eight volumes and don't like the idea of reading 18 pages a week, being the impatient soul I am, I'm going to have to wait until the middle of Feb for my next fix, and the next date to look forward to after that is April. Reading 12 chapters at once every two months is better than reading eight (or less) chapters spread over two months, but it still isn't ideal.

At times like this, I wish I was French. As much as it would irk me to be classed as a coward by the rest of the world because of my nationality, at least I'd be able to buy 20+ volumes of Gantz and all 18 volumes of Eden. Trust France, rather than America, to have the biggest manga community outside of Japan!

...Anyway, enough rambling, methinks. For now, I'll need to put my Gantz volumes in my (far too large) comic book bags and wait for my pre-orders to be sent. Good things come to those who wait, etc etc. Maybe I should try learning French to avoid waiting... or, better yet, become a full-time otaku and actually learn more than what 'dame!~' (translation: Yes! Keep going!) means?

Just read it online, god damn. By the way, it's not worth catching up on anymore, Gantz is pretty bad now, savour the goodness of the Dino Arc, I remember reading all of Gantz while I was still in high school. I even told some people about it, mainly because I had the same reaction Aion has now... at fifteen.

Also calling it right now Reika is your next fascination.

I've already read a few 'It goes nowhere; we still know nothing about anything!' comments. But it isn't as if I didn't expect views like that. Let's be serious here: how, on God's no longer very green earth, could a manga involving a man in a sphere 'copying' dead people and forcing them to fight aliens end well? I never expected Gantz to be anything other than a good ride, and I'm enjoying the journey a hell of a lot!

I saw a scan of the dino arc when hunting for Gantz boob images on e-hentai weeks ago. I thought then it'd be pretty ******* awesome for there to be dinosaurs playing the role of aliens and I'm looking forward to reading the chapters covering that mission.

As for reading it online, there's no point. I'll hit 310 in under a week and then be forced to wait a week for very little. I'd eventually just on-hold and forget about it. Reading 12 chapters at once every so often strikes me as being a much better option.

Also, stop saying you only liked **** you still rate 9/10 now when you were 15. It doesn't make you come across as a more hairy male!

I've only read the first 3 volumes which I enjoyed. It's not on the top of my list at the moment but if I had the money I'd like to carry it on. Unfortunately I just have to stick to my core choices for now. My only concern with Gantz is that it may become a little repetitive and I've heard several people say that some of the later volumes are quite weak. I'm just going by that. Don't confuse me anymore. It's hard to juggle between these damn manga titles as it is.

They're lucky in France, I just wish the US would hurry up and release the other Eden volumes.

Impatience is a problem too, since I'm trying (and failing miserably) to stick to one volume per title per month. Ah well, I found a great shop that sells cheap ass Berserk volumes up to about 25, so that'll keep me plenty busy.

gantz upto the end of phase 1 is ******* amazing, hits it's peak with the dino arc. Phase 2 is a horrible mess, with 1 mission (a **** one at that) taking up 2/3 of the phase and nearly 100 chapters. Phase 3 just started and it's still pretty ******, but i have hope because i loved phase 1 and want to see it return to form. The artwork went from meh to some of the best i've seen though so thats one good thing.

Just thought I'd post it as it seemed relivant :D

Gantzmangascan.jpg

Made me Lol

Aion said:
Also, stop saying you only liked **** you still rate 9/10 now when you were 15. It doesn't make you come across as a more hairy male!
I just say it because you're always behind me by a good several years despite being older than me. I find it funny.

Gantz appeals to me for the oddest of reasons. I love the tension in knowing that a character you've grown fond of can just...disappear, and that's it; I loved the antipathy between Izumi and Kurono--like a warped Goku / Vegeta relationship, and just as gripping; I love the fact that--just like in Hunter x Hunter--there's a real sense that any single move could spell out death when administered by the correct person; I adore the scoring, and observing who's done the best out of the bunch, almost as if to give a quasi power-level reading.

I love those things about Gantz, even when they're counter-balanced against things I dislike--like the fact the author often pumped out chapters that did nothing, at all. I recall one chapter was just Kurono jumping around screaming, which he did in the next chapter--but then stopped screaming. Thanks heavens I wasn't reading it from its inception in the year 2000; the low-page count along with the lack of content in each chapter (not to mention the irregular releases) would have incensed me.

If Gantz stays excellent for 237 chapters, I don't think I'll cry myself to sleep when it all starts to go down the shitter. I mean, so far I'm not even at the 237 halfway point, and if I stick with buying the DH releases it's going to take my a good few years to reach that point. If Gantz can continue pleasing for me such a lengthy period, I'll forgive it for its failings.

I'm the same way with Naruto. I love the first 27 volumes to bits, and though what comes after pretty much ruins it, I still rate it 9/10 just for the first 240-something chapters.

And, yeah, I was thinking whilst reading the manga how lucky I am to be buying the manga when eight volumes are out rather than one. I don't think I would've been able to stick with buying the manga if I wasn't able to read a huge chunk before on-holding it; covering what the anime covered.

Yuvie said:
Don't confuse me anymore..

My bad, my bad. I wouldn't be too shocked if, after 237 chapters (assuming I'm still posting when DH reach that stage), I post about Gantz in the thread I attacked Eden/Endo in!

I'll get this in early, since you seem to listen to my reccs, unlike one of the ****s I talk to frequently: buy the first volume of Ikigami. Only three volumes are out, and the first two volumes make me believe it's going to be a 9-10/10 seinen series.

Interesting concept, Ikigami that is. It seems like my kind of story. I'll add it to my ever expanding list. The Ikigami volumes that have been released seem fair priced. I still need to get around to finding Tanpenshu at a decent price too.

I'm currently reading Berserk, which is enjoyable but only on volume 1. Eden too, which I love so far. I have the first 3 volumes of 20th Century Boys to read. So busy busy on the manga front.

As for Gantz, I'm sticking it to the back of my priorities for now, as with MPD Psycho but I am scouting around for cheap volumes.

Anime-On-Line have volumes 3-5 of the Gantz anime for 99p each. If you picked up the first two volumes for £5 each, you'd own 5/7 of the anime - which covers pretty much all eight volumes of the manga - for under £13.

The anime is a very good adaptation, and Kei's English voice actor is excellent. I don't mean to play the role of the devil, constantly tempting you, but it wouldn't be the worst way to spend £13.

As for Ikigami, I'll more than likely make a blog post and C&P it here after volume three arrives. Once I've read all I can, I'll share my thoughts in detail... assuming anyone here gives a toss. :)

Gantz, the anime, is the reason why I got interested in the manga. I enjoyed the series a lot and it left a lot of the questions unanswered which is the main reason why I started to read the manga.

Normally, if I've seen the anime of something I don't tend to delve into the manga. I guess I'm just an anime person at heart which is why I normally tend to go for a good manga without an anime adaptation. With Monster, for example, the manga has had great reviews but I'll probably just stick to the anime if it actually gets a fairly cheap release.

Gantz & Berserk are the only two that have bucked the trend.

Back