GameCube: Worth buying now?

Gallus Glee

Dandy Guy, in Space
I've noticed that Amazon (blegh!) are selling GC Donkey Konga packs for about £64 - do you think it's worth getting one of these consoles?

I'm not a die-hard Ninty fan by any stretch, though I love mario world and the SNES mario kart as much as the next gamer.

If there are any GC fans here, is there somewhere I can get new games cheap? I'd be interested to know before investing in a console.

Any input appreciated.

I bought a GC about a year or so ago and have had fun picking up loads of cheap games for it. If you've nothing to play at the moment it might be worth it, but yeah the Wii will be backward compatible if you can hold out for it.

If anything, it might be worth getting some of the games while you can ahead of time while you wait for the Wii. Sounds a little odd I know, but some of these games are getting hard to find now. (especially the likes of Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia)

i got a gamecube when it came out..and the games i got for it are still good today...but now i would wait for a Wii since it is due out soon enough and that'll bring more games with it.

Well you can pick up a GC from CeX 2nd hand (boxed) for about £30 (that's with 1 controller and no memory card IIRC). Games can still cost around £20 for the more recent / popular ones (like Resident Evil 4), but I'd say it's a good investment, especially since those games ought to be playable on the next gen console as well. If you're looking for cheap games, trade in shops like CeX and Gamestation usually have decent prices. Or you could always rent some titles I suppose.

I guess it's more a question of whether you want to spend that £30-£40 to be able to play some good games now, or whether you want to save that money and wait until Wii comes out (which is around 6 months away). Either one seems like a reasonable option.

One option is that unless there's some killer app coming out on Wii on launch day that you really want, you could go for a GC now, and wait for the inevitable price drop on the Wii about 8-12 months down the line (launch prices are always extortionate). The deal you're talking about is definitely a decent one if you're interested (personally, I'm not into games like Donkey Konga though, so I'd probably get the 2nd hand one and a different game)

Otherwise, if you want to save your cash and you're not looking to stem your boredom right now, wait for the Wii (or next gen console of your choice). Most of the popular GC games ought to still be around then, if not on Amazon, then at least on Ebay.

Thanks, will have to think about this.

I did want something for now, but I do resent having to pay extra cash for a game which I don't want (Donkey Konga).

If the only source of cheap new games is shops like Gamestation, then I'm sunk anyway. My local gamestation has 10 games max, and an empty box from the Mario Cart console (they were on sale for £50 but are sold out now -.-).

Likewise, my local Game stopped selling GC software a number of months ago.

I think I'll check around for cheap games, then maybe invest and wait for the Wii.

Also I think wii will be better value than PS3 because now Sony have said you can't buy second hand games/ps3's so you have to get all games new and you can't sell them. ;_;

StrawHatLuffy said:
Also I think wii will be better value than PS3 because now Sony have said you can't buy second hand games/ps3's so you have to get all games new and you can't sell them. ;_;

Actually, that was just a rumour. You'll still be able to get 2nd hand games on PS3.

Not that I don't consider a PS3 as poor value for money anyway. :twisted:

probally be worth waiting for a wii, it'll probally cost about £100 more, but it looks a fuckload nicer than the gamecube, and will have a (slightly) improved range of games

The only thing that the gamecube has any use for, in my oppinion (aside from a coaster or footstool) is party play.

Save your money and buy a dreamcast.

Lerion said:
The only thing that the gamecube has any use for, in my oppinion (aside from a coaster or footstool) is party play.

Save your money and buy a dreamcast.

In any case, Dreamcast was good, but the only problem is that these days you'd have a hard time finding the good games for it at a price that wouldn't sink a ship.

As for the GC, I'd say it has some really good singleplayer games (Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Metroid just off the top of my head).

Back