FUNimation get Gunslinger Girl 2, plus much more

If it's Shigurui I'll be amazed. Definitely one of the best licenses of the year if so. If you liked Texhnolyze, you'll love Shigurui. It's intense, violent and absolutely gripping.

Paul said:
If it's Shigurui I'll be amazed. Definitely one of the best licenses of the year if so.
The silhouette matches to the cover image from the first Shigurui DVD in Japan, so it's a pretty safe bet that it's Shigurui. :)

Paul said:
If you liked Texhnolyze, you'll love Shigurui. It's intense, violent and absolutely gripping.
Texhnolyze is one of a few series I'm currently part way through enjoying; anything in a similar vein is more than welcomed. Though I'd not heard much of Shigurui before, I guess now I'll have to do some research.

As for the other licenses, the second Gunslinger Girl series is something I've been particularly looking forward to. I'm aware of all the negativity surrounding this one due to the significant changes the series has undergone. As a huge fan of the first series the change in artistic style is somewhat frustrating, even if for no other reason than continuity in the franchise; until I've seen them in context though, I cannot truly comment on how well the new visuals work. In any regard appearance is only one aspect of an anime, and if the same sense of story-telling and character development are still present I'll find it hard to do anything but enjoy the series. :D

While it doesn't seem like the kind of show FUNi would license, it's difinitely their best one this week. And I'm guessing the other four were part of some deal due to how medicore they are (though I'll probably get Strain too).

ryuzaki said:
While it doesn't seem like the kind of show FUNi would license, it's difinitely their best one this week. And I'm guessing the other four were part of some deal due to how medicore they are (though I'll probably get Strain too).

You're right. It seems more like a Geneon show, by far.

The problem with Gunslinger Girl is that, just because the second season isn't as good as the first, it's generally assumed that the second season is bad. After watching the first six episodes I can vouch that it isn't - the story moves up a gear while the character study continues apace. It's not nearly as pretty and the direction is a tad clumsy but otherwise I think it's still worth picking up on DVD.

As for Shigurui, that really would be a pleasant surprise if it's true. It sound a little too hardcore for me but since I've enjoyed what I've seen of Texhnolyze so far I won't rule out buying that either.

Paul said:
Given DVD sales continue to fall, it's a little weird that they've gone and picked up four C-list rated anime series. It's like ADV all over again.
Just what I was thinking :/
I mean, geez, these titles are fairly obscure - even on an anime forum people don't seem to know much about them.
Probably due to them being distinctly mediocre (although I'll make an exception for Shigurui)...

King Jimmeh said:
Just watched the vid of Strain, looks like good stuff.
Hmm, don't get your hopes up too much on this one. It's not bad, worth a couple hours entertainment, it's just so very... vanilla*. The story's well paced but very predictable, characters are ones you've probably seen before somewhere (an angsty mecha pilot? surely not!), character artwork is ok but the CG used for mechs and ships is fairly poor - Last Exile could just about pull it off, this can't. But then I'm not a massive fan of CG anyway.
After watching it, the one thing that really sticks in my memory (really because it seemed so out-of-place) was the random fanservice/comedy episode in the middle of the series where one of the (female) pilots tries to seduce the heroine and ends up running through the ship naked... hmm, maybe it wasn't such a bad series after all :p .

Martin said:
The problem with Gunslinger Girl is that, just because the second season isn't as good as the first, it's generally assumed that the second season is bad. After watching the first six episodes I can vouch that it isn't - the story moves up a gear while the character study continues apace. It's not nearly as pretty and the direction is a tad clumsy but otherwise I think it's still worth picking up on DVD.
Got it spot on.
It's not bad, just quite a disappointment after the first series. Drop your expectations some and it'll still be enjoyable.

*Although, I've always thought that calling an average or mediocre thing "vanilla" was a bit weird... I really like vanilla >.>

Thanks Martin / Ramadahl - I was a bit afraid after seeing such bad comments on GG2, specially when I know Sy has good taste and like many stuff I like as well...

While I do agree that Gunslinger Girl 2 isn't completely terrible when taking it on it's own merit I do feel that in every other respect after seeing about 3 episodes I can say it's pretty much average all round. Along with the sub par artwork and direction the biggest step down for me was that the story focus is a lot less personal and subtle which is something I appreciated about the first series. There are a lot of elements from the first series still in there however nearly all what drew me into the series in the first place is lacking in some way. Perhaps if the first series never exsisted then I would enjoy it more but as it stands being just decent isn't enough.

Still, try it out for yourself. You might find it more enjoyable than I have. :)

Lupus Inu said:
Also, **** YES, second season of Gunslinger Girl, I'm gonna buy that, I'd like to watch it dubbed as opposed to subbed.
That's the advantage of DVDs, you can have it both ways. Same with me, Gunslinger girl, along with Fruits Basket, is one of the anime I would never consider watching in Japanese. The English dub is just too good.

Wouldn't bother asking me about releases though. I've not seen any anime not yet released in the UK.

Back