Favourite Horror anime? *evil laugh*

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
So with Halloween fast approaching, what's your favourite horror anime? Hellsing? Vampire Hunter D? or perhaps even Boogiepop Phantom?

I would love to know your opinions on Boogiepop- I've heard and seen a lot of good things about this horror series, and with the extra cheap play.com DVDs - it's an option for sure!

Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust would certainly be up there for me. The wide range of vampires, zombies and even werewolves are very much in the classic vein of horror film, but the story and animation are notably top notch too.

Indeed, pretty much anything from Yoshiaki Kawajiri is worthy of being considered as 'top horror'. Ninja Scroll, Wicked City, Bloodlust and even X TV - the guy just seems to have a good nack for great demon-infested adventures!

Anyway - how about you? Someone is bound to say Hellsing, right? ;)

Boogiepop Phantom
Lain
TEXHNOLYZE

Theres are the ones that screwed me up royally. But if your talking Horror in the sense of things that have characters that normally appear in horror genres (like vampires), then i would say Hellsing, and Bloodlust.

Yeah, psychological horror is an option too. TEXHNOLYZE for sure, the constant feeling of impending doom and mad techno-biological experiments made for a very disturbing series. One of the best anime in recent years.

EDIT: Somehow forgot to mention Berserk. My favourite anime of all time.

Hellsing

Only anime serie what i have seen is Hellsing.
It's little bit shame that there is only 13 episodes but what can we do about it *sigh*.

BoogiePop Phantom rules, its a little strange, but no where near as weird as the end of Neon Genesis or serial experiment Lain. i dont know whether i would class it as horror as such, although a bunch of people are quite ghost like. and a bunch of demons and childrens wishes that came too, and a guy that ate bugs and stuff. hmmm i dont want to give away anything but it was certainly weird, very well made, but weird.

No, you're right, X the Movie wasn't particularly scary at all! I never really appreciated that film, because I knew nothing of the manga that came before it...

I've seen 'Vampire Hunter D', although it seems really dated now. hopefully, i'll enjoy '...Bloodlust' more. has anyone seen that, and if so, do you recommend it?

Vampire Hunter D has a certain charm, though you're right it is very dated. Bloodlust is a decent update - I was expecting a "More Blood! Rock soundtrack!" appeal to the less discerning fan, and whilst it has that it's a decent little film. Well animated, characters that aren't too black and white and a weird medieval/techno setting. It is all about the vampires and action, but in a good way unlike, say, Vampira Wars, which is clag.

Really suprised no one has mentioned Blood: Last Vampire. Nice mix of creapy and well... blood, as the title hints at, and jaw droppingly beautiful graphics but just shorter than itshould have been.
X-Movie was just crap... well it begged to be more (which the tv series may or may not have done), but it was 'here is a character, they do this, oohs they are now dead... NEXT'
Ubrasaki... or how ever you spell it. Now that was just funny.
Lain was...disconcerting, but in a good way.
VHD was retro, but nothing to write home about, VHD: Bloodlust is suppposed to be better

Really suprised no one has mentioned Blood: Last Vampire. Nice mix of creapy and well... blood, as the title hints at, and jaw droppingly beautiful graphics but just shorter than itshould have been.
that's my main problem with 'Blood...'. you really get into the atmosphere, enjoying the fantastic animation and just as the story gets properly going...the end credits start to roll. what there is of it is indeed jaw-droppingly beautiful, but they could have done so much more with it.

The length problem with Blood is a real mark against it. What there is is good, though the whole thing isn't gorgeous as there a couple of dogy looking scenes, but by the end it feels like a pilot for a series rather than a film in it's own right. It's a shame as with more depth to it it would be fantastic rather than good but flawed.

Don't forget Doomed Megalopolis. It maybe older than some other stuff, but I thought it was quite nifty.

Besides, Kato was quite a good villian in my opinion. :D

I didn't think that two part OVA of The Dark Myth was that bad either, provided people don't mind Japanese legend and what not. :)

P.S. I agree about Blood. The length was a letdown. Still, good while it lasted.

i think everyone agrees with the length of blood. it was an amazing anime while it lasted. i have heard rumours of a sequel. does ne one have information on this.

Back