Ebay Question

Ranger Ryu

Kiznaiver
Well,thinking of actually trying to buy some things on ebay but I just like to know how the whole buying process works etc since I have never used it before.

It's relatively straight forward from what i know, though i've not done "buy it now" so i can't speak for that. Basically you put down your bids for an item and if you win, the seller will send you an invoice for the product on how much it came to alongside P&P prices. It's usually then paid via paypal so you just do a transfer payment to their account and then they send you the stuff afterwards.

I would imagine "buy it now" just works with you making the payment straight up, but i'll let someone else answer that who's had more experience with it.

Ranger Ryu said:
Ah......PayPal,don't trust their security specially seeing as they said I've signed up to them when I haven't >_>
Assuming "they" have said that in e-mails? Those are probably phishing scammers trying to get your Paypal details (even if you don't have an account), nothing to do with Paypal themselves, but sent to thousands of email addresses in the hope that some people who do have accounts will be conned and end up giving away their login details.

Yeah, I don't see how Paypal would even have your details if you really never signed up to them. Something is fishy.

Arbalest: Buy It Now is exactly as you have guessed. Most auctions can be paid instantly too unless the seller needs to give you the total manually (e.g. combining several orders or needing a non-standard shipping method).

One other thing to watch out for is that a lot of US (and foreign in general) sellers don't ship to the UK, though if you send them a message some can be persuaded. It's best to make sure before bidding so you don't end up having to cancel later on and wreck your feedback. If you use the .co.uk eBay site you'll be shown auctions which ship to the UK.

R

They say themselves that I've registered......unless I have and I can't remember

edit:and it's appartenly locked. When I tried to request my password be changed.

Rui said:
Yeah, I don't see how Paypal would even have your details if you really never signed up to them. Something is fishy.

Arbalest: Buy It Now is exactly as you have guessed. Most auctions can be paid instantly too unless the seller needs to give you the total manually (e.g. combining several orders or needing a non-standard shipping method).

One other thing to watch out for is that a lot of US (and foreign in general) sellers don't ship to the UK, though if you send them a message some can be persuaded. It's best to make sure before bidding so you don't end up having to cancel later on and wreck your feedback. If you use the .co.uk eBay site you'll be shown auctions which ship to the UK.

R

Sellers haven't been able to leave negative feedback for buyers for years, and if they try leaving a false postive they end up getting in trouble

Kite said:
Sellers haven't been able to leave negative feedback for buyers for years, and if they try leaving a false postive they end up getting in trouble

Wow. I never noticed that.

R

Kite said:
Sellers haven't been able to leave negative feedback for buyers for years
Which sucks **** because the customer isn't always right. Also I didn't realise until recently that the "buy it now" option disappears after someone places a bid - What's the goddamn point of it? Surely the sensible thing would be that seeing bids being placed scares someone into "buying it now" because they realise they might not win otherwise.

Back