Early review: Full Metal Alchemist #2

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Just in time for it's UK release on Monday, we've posted Stuart Bullen's review of the second volume of MVM's highly regarded "heart wrenching action adventure" Full Metal Alchemist.<ul class="menu2">"Not many series manage to deliver so much action, intrigue and passion this early on, and to be honest I didn't think Full Metal Alchemist would be one of them, however this volume has really opened my eyes and converted me to the magic of alchemy. Providing a solid emotional punch with a liberal sprinkling of traumatic developments this volume reveals Full Metal Alchemist to be a stunningly proficient drama that belies its colourful trimmings to deliver an experience you won't soon forget."</ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=175">Read the full review.</a> Talking of Full Metal Alchemist, the theatrical movie (which is a direct sequel to the TV series. The story is set in 1923 Germany) opened in Japanese cinemas on Saturday.

Otaku News has linked to a Japanese newspaper article about the movie in which it's director Seiji Mizushima urges filmgoers to "get their teeth into" the flick. Mizushma is quoted as saying- "I've put my heart and soul into it to make this movie and found that the more you put your teeth into it, the better it is," ... "I want you to see this movie as many times as you can."

To echo my comments from Stuart's review:

It was an episode on this volume (I won't reveal what happens, it will ruin the massive impact) that defines the brilliance of Full Metal Alchemist. As Stuart has rightly noted; the fluffy aesthetics mask what is a very dark and heart wrenching story; a story that is unafraid of showing the more despicable sides of humanity.

Consider that for all the "ultra violence" seen in Gantz and Elfen Lied, they only scored a 15 certificate from the BBFC. This volume of Full Metal Alchemist has also scored a 15 certificate; it contains moment of utter horror; sadistic, psychological horror.

While I feel Full Metal Alchemist stutters until the late teen-episodes, it is this volume that should ear-mark this series as a masterpiece waiting to happen. Be patient; an emotionally twisting, dark adventure awaits you. [Rated Full Metal Alchemist #2: 9/10]

And I can't wait for the movie too!

I must say I find myself agreeing with that most excellent review, the series certainly does pick up greatly after the first volume; the colourful, happy, child-like animation betrays a deep and dramatic story underneath.

I can recall the episode you're thinking of, certainly a heart-wrenching highlight, and one of my favourites in the series. From all I've seen, the movie looks great thus far.

cant wait to watch vol 2 now but it looks like it has been put back till the 15/08/05

so looks like i will have to wait for 2 weeks frist :(

valha said:
cant wait to watch vol 2 now but it looks like it has been put back till the 15/08/05

so looks like i will have to wait for 2 weeks frist :(

Anime companies seem to love to put their DVD releases back. Its getting
silly now .(FMA Vol 2 will end up getting put back to 2008 at this Rate)

Is anyone else getting a bit f*cking pissed of with these constant pushbacks. The first one was released nearly 2 months before the current release date.

Sorry about that but it just winds me up

Back