DVD Region Problems

Ark

Adventurer
Hi there,

I've got Region Free DVD equipped on my laptop. For some reason it's not playing my Region 1 version of SkyCrawlers that I bought a year ago but had only watched on a dvd player. Using VLC it plays but there's a lot of interference lines. The other players won't work at all because they say it's Region 1. The other Region 1 dvds that I've tested all work without any problems. Any idea why this one wouldn't be working?

Many Thanks

Ark said:
Hi there,

I've got Region Free DVD equipped on my laptop. For some reason it's not playing my Region 1 version of SkyCrawlers that I bought a year ago but had only watched on a dvd player. Using VLC it plays but there's a lot of interference lines. The other players won't work at all because they say it's Region 1. The other Region 1 dvds that I've tested all work without any problems. Any idea why this one wouldn't be working?

Many Thanks
Those interference lines are probably interlacing. To get rid of them go to Video > Deinterlace > Blend :wink:

Ark said:
Paradox295 said:
Ark said:
Nah, didn't make a difference.
Huh, could you possibly post a screenshot? Also try using a different Deinterlance mode

I tried all the interlace modes and none worked. The audio is completely fine though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Whoa!! Okay, those aren't interlacing lines, sorry. Interlacing is when you get small white lines across the screen.

That, though, I have no idea. Probably something to do with either the DVD or the DVD Drive.

You said it plays on a DVD player, so it's not the disc
Does your PC play other DVDs properly?

Are you able to rip the DVD to your hard drive (for temporary testing purposes!) and play it from there? Some apps which do this can also remove the region locking at the same time which might help figure out what's going on.

I had to do that for my Gundam Seed DVDs because they were horribly made and the ones which played at all had serious problems. The rips I made worked fine though. If it's a technical problem with your disc it wouldn't be too weird for it to work on one piece of hardware better than another.

Unfortunately I do this kind of thing on OS X so don't know any Windows applications by name. I'm sure there are plenty, though.

R

VLC seems to do this on some discs, it just throws a spaz and won't play. Multi region on PC DVD drives can be a little iffy.

Try a prog called makemkv.

Paradox295 said:
You said it plays on a DVD player, so it's not the disc
Does your PC play other DVDs properly?

Yeah. This is the only reg1 dvd where I've ever got warnings from any of the media players telling me it can't be played because of the region.

That looks like what happen on my drive sometimes when I try to play a different Region DVD without using AnyDVD.

Give the AnyDVD trial a go, it removes encryption and region locking from a DVD for playback.

megagold5 said:
That looks like what happen on my drive sometimes when I try to play a different Region DVD without using AnyDVD.

Give the AnyDVD trial a go, it removes encryption and region locking from a DVD for playback.

Yeah, that worked. I wonder why dvd region free didn't work. It's worked with all my other R1 DVDs.

Back