Dubs are more popular than Subs?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Thanks to those of you that voted in our Subtitles v Dubs poll. The anime community is often divided by this debate, and according to our survey, more of you prefer the English language dubs of anime (29.31% of the votes) over the original Japanese track with subtitles (25.86% of the votes). This is an interesting result, if just simply because English anime dubs are often looked down upon and publically criticized by many. 44.83% of you admit to mixing it up and just choosing whichever particular track suits your preference.

Our next poll is just as important. We are asking you if you import your anime DVDs from overseas (like USA) or if you prefer to support the UK industry by buying the British releases. After voting, you can make your opinions heard by discussing this issue on the forums <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?t=430&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=">by clicking here</a>.

These results aren't too suprising. People would rather not have to concentrate on reading text whilst also having to watch the animation.

I personally go for the original Japanese language everytime. I love Japenese anime and enjoy watching it as was originally intended by it's creators. I don't need to view it in my native language to understand the passion and emotion conveyed by the characters.

From when I've seen glimpses of English dubs, I just don't get the same feeling or connection with the story. It's either a case of poor acting or American voices just not suiting the animation, but I find it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, like Dragonballz...

Bastard!! has an amazing dub though. I love the guy who does Dark Schneider's voice, it's just so... perfect.

Its weird usually I like Subs more but it's easier to enjoy something if its dubbed, usually I watch the dubs over the subs if its actually a good dub i.e. no edited language etc.

I know this topic ended a while ago, but seeing as I'm new I thought I'd add my pearls of wisdom (run for cover).

I personally prefer subtitles (I think the Japanese sound 'cool' for some reason), but I agree totally about missing things when you use them.

Not just that, but watching some of these heavy duty series for the first time using subtitles can be quite heavy going. What I plan on doing in future is wath them dubbed first then watch them sub.

I can now be called Mr. Compromise (along side Mr. Originality). :wink: :D

Paul said:
This is an interesting result, if just simply because English anime dubs are often looked down upon and publically criticized by many

"many"? I think your living in the past with that coment.
Nowdays dubs are good enough for there to be no argument , and most anime sites seem to agree with that.

IanC said:
Paul said:
This is an interesting result, if just simply because English anime dubs are often looked down upon and publically criticized by many

"many"? I think your living in the past with that coment.
Nowdays dubs are good enough for there to be no argument , and most anime sites seem to agree with that.

Suffice to say I disagree with the "good enough for there to be no argument" statement, but I've seen enough sub v dub debates in the last 6 months to last me a lifetime. And none of them achieved anything. We all have our own preferences and the beauty of a DVD is that it allows both crowds to be satisfied.

I said 'many', as in many people. No matter that the majority of English speaking peoples take the natural choice and choose dubs, there are still many others that don't, myself included.

Not sure what you're trying to get at with those comments really. I know you're a diehard dub fan, so perhaps your trigger finger was getting a little ichy? I was just stating a hard fact, backed up by the ongoing sub v dub debates we see on all anime fourms, many people don't watch dubs and look down on those who do.

see thats one of the reasons I dont really go in for this type of debate. i'm fed up with the holier than thou attitude of many people who watch subs, like the simple fact of it not being in the original language makes your enjoyment invalid. (this same type of attitude can be foud in the whole import vs domestic market argument)

for me I dont care how you enjoy the shows, as long as you enjoy them.
personally I watch series as a mix, and dont really care if its subbed or dubbed. but when watching with the wife she really cannot be arsed to read the subs so we go with dubbed.

Both are good. I generally prefer dubs as the primary viewing choice, but it can also depend on the anime itself. Some shows seem to suit dubs (eg. bebop, trigun, o.star, I reckon even Full Metal Alchemist, judging by the clips I've heard), some subs (eg. naruto). It obviousy depends on individual choice, although its fun to mix it up and watch both the dub and sub for a show.

The quality of dubs has definetly risen over the past few years, look at the fantastic job adv did with excel saga, which was full of culture references and stuff.

i normally watch anime dubbed first time around to take in the visuals, then enjoy it as it was originally intended and subbed on subsequent viewings. while it's useful to introduce friends to anime shows and films by showing them the dubbed versions, i prefer them subbed when watching them myself, given the choice.

Like mentioned before by someone else, I think the beauty of DVD is that it gives people the option.

And also, as mentioned previously too, English dubs seem to have improved with newer releases.

I suppose the only other way to settle the debate is to create a new universal language; "englishanese".

Good idea, no? :wink: :D :D :D :D :D

otaku_kei said:
for me I dont care how you enjoy the shows, as long as you enjoy them.
personally I watch series as a mix, and dont really care if its subbed or dubbed. but when watching with the wife she really cannot be arsed to read the subs so we go with dubbed.

I agree whole heartedly with that statement :D
I watch anime because I love it, I can watch it in any format (I have watched Sailor Moon in German and Spanish :shock: ). There's something about anime I have just never been quite able to put my finger on, that keeps me watching (and has done for 12+ years) without getting bored. The only thing that might put me off of watching the dubbed version of something is if I just can't stand the voices and infact the same goes for the original Japanese version, I don't like El Hazard in Japanese at all.
On the whole, whether I watch subbed or dubbed anime is solely dependent on what mood I'm in, or if my 18 month old daughter is being mischievious and purposely standing infront of the TV so that I can't read the subtitles (and this happens a lot :lol: ).

Just something of no importance! but I wanted to say that I watched Ghost in the Shell (movie) maybe 6 or 7 times dubbed but it wasn't until I saw the subtitled version just 3 years ago that I finally understood what is was all about. :wink:

Back