Dub quality discussion (contains Free!)

Re: Winter 2016 Legal Anime Streaming Thread

Mangaranga said:
You clearly don't watch any Sentai dubs. If the awful voice acting doesn't ruin the experience for you, then the constant cringe worthy honorifics - made even worse by awful pronunciation (Chan -> Chaaarn) - will.

I've never got past how gut-wrenchingly terrible their dubs sound to notice their use of honorifics.

Although Sentai rarely pick up shows I'm interested in (I can't stand fanservice or "cute girls doing cute things" shows), so it doesn't matter.

thedoctor2016 said:
No because FUNi lost all hope for dubs with Free!, so I won't listen to there dubs and they don't make them legally available here.
You seem to be very attached to Free, but I do agree with everyone else. Funi are aiming squarely at the main target market - the "90% tumblr-reading fan fic-writing teenage girls" if you will, and I have no doubts that it will pay off very well for them. As a straight male who liked the show because f'n Kyoani, I'll probably buy the series and enjoy the dub for what it is considering the strong dub cast. Failing that there's always the (almost universally better) JP Dub to fall back on.

Yeah, I agree they went for the mass market, but "tumblr fanfics girls" I know dont like the dub either and it is universally slated and looked down upon. And nice to see another straight male who likes the show so one day The anime distributers can see it has a wide appeal.

thedoctor2016 said:
Yeah, I agree they went for the mass market, but "tumblr fanfics girls" I know dont like the dub either and it is universally slated and looked down upon. And nice to see another straight male who likes the show so one day The anime distributers can see it has a wide appeal.

It's streaming on FUNimation's and Crunchyroll's website, everybody that handles that show on the Western side has analytical data telling them exactly who it appeals to and who it doesn't. If they thought the tumblr fangirls dub would kill more sales than it created, they wouldn't have done it, so clearly the analytical data suggests that too.

Also, look at the Japanese blu-ray covers and tell me that the show is aimed at a unisex audience. There is no way PonyCanyon aren't playing up to the show's female fanbase with those laughably terrible covers. It's not a wide appeal show, and I very much doubt it's intended to be. In fact, as far as I can tell, with the possible exception of Haikyuu! every single sports anime lives solely on the grounds of how well it can attract the tumblr crowd.

Buzz201 said:
Also, look at the Japanese blu-ray covers and tell me that the show is aimed at a unisex audience. There is no way PonyCanyon aren't playing up to the show's female fanbase with those laughably terrible covers. It's not a wide appeal show, and I very much doubt it's intended to be. In fact, as far as I can tell, with the possible exception of Haikyuu! every single sports anime lives solely on the grounds of how well it can attract the tumblr crowd.

Technically I don't think the loud Tumblr crowd is necessarily the exact same group that is supporting these titles. But in Japan, the Free! fujoshi demographic has its claws in Haikyuu!! too, I'm afraid.

R

Rui said:
Technically I don't think the loud Tumblr crowd is necessarily the exact same group that is supporting these titles. But in Japan, the Free! fujoshi demographic has its claws in Haikyuu!! too, I'm afraid.

R

You'd have to assume there's a degree of crossover otherwise why would two separate companies do the same type of specifically targeted dub?

I just meant that from a Western perspective Haikyuu!! seems to be the one that crossed over into the mainstream and escaped the sports anime ghetto. I don't watch any of these sports anime, because I don't like sport and aggressive male fanservice is almost as annoying as aggressive female fanservice.

thedoctor2016 said:
I think Kuroko no Basket got into the mainstream too.

I'd disagree, I've heard even less about Kuroko's Basketball than the DOA Yowamushi Pedal. Haikyuu!!'s been racking up brief mentions all over the place.

Hmmm, a pruned thread on dubs that's mainly discussing Free.

As someone who watches dub where available the idea of dubbing a series as broadcast does worry me a little. The speed that's needed makes me worried that they won't focus as much on quality as before. Plus how can they dub something accurately when they don't know what's coming up in the future? The little things that build towards a big reveal will surely be overlooked as their importance is not immediately realised.

Back