Disney-Pixar confirms Monsters Inc 2

Will-O'-The-Wisp

Cardcaptor
It's been a long time, but I loved the first film so I'm more than willing to give this one a chance :D

Awesomesauce

Sulley-John-Goodman-and-M-001.jpg

They'll be back … Sulley (John Goodman) and Mike (Billy Crystal) in the first Monsters Inc movie. Photograph: AP Photo/Disney/Pixar

After nearly a decade away, the furry freaks Sulley and Mike are to return to the task of not-really-frightening children. Disney-Pixar has announced a sequel to Monsters Inc, the 2001 movie that became the eighth highest grossing animation of all time, taking $256m (£167m). The new film will appear in cinemas in November 2012. In the meantime, two other Disney-Pixar sequels will reach the screen – Toy Story 3 this summer and Cars 2 next year.

Sequels and spin-offs look set to dominate the animation market in the immediate future. As well as the Disney-Pixar trio, DreamWorks premiered Shrek Forever After in 3D at the Tribeca film festival this week, and Antonio Banderas has confirmed that his Puss in Boots character is to get his own vehicle, due for release next year. Shrek 2, Shrek the Third and Shrek are, respectively, the No 1, No 4 and No 6 grossing animations in history, taking a combined total of $1.03bn. Shrek Forever After, in which the green ogre is tricked by Rumpelstiltskin and finds himself in an alternate Far Far Away, is released in the UK on 9 July.

Two other animated sequels are also in production. DreamWorks has a third Madagascar film slated for release in 2012, while the Weinstein Company is working on a followup to Hoodwinked, the Red Riding Hood retelling that took $110m worldwide against an estimated budget of only $15m.

2012 is a long wait, but atleast we have Toy Story 3 to look forward to later this year!

My predictions for the plot:

After a successful business innovation, shares in Monsters Incorporated skyrocket. A recession hits however, causing Sully and Mike to seek work elsewhere following employee restructuring initiatives. They join a workers' cooperative, but have to downgrade to cheaper accommodation due to the low wages this provides. Meanwhile, Monsters Incorporated outsource their scare production facilities to a poorer state in which trade unions do not exist. Through questionable business ethics, said corporation recoup their losses. Sully and Mike do not benefit from this resurgence however, but nonetheless find meaning to their lives by working as financial bloggers in their spare time. Fin.

No children appear in the film, as a result of the PROTECT act.

I just figured a Monster would get lost in the human world. Toy Story 2 was just one in reverse, so I expect this to be a reverse of the first as well. Cars 2 will probably follow a similar formula.

Another interesting thing to note, in 2012, we shall get three computer animated 3D Pixar films, two in June and this in November. I hope it won't come to this on a year-to-year basis because that would be Pixar over-load. I figure they are just trying to get all the films out there before The End Of The World and all that.

Zin5ki said:

After a successful business innovation, shares in Monsters Incorporated skyrocket. A recession hits however, causing Sully and Mike to seek work elsewhere following employee restructuring initiatives. They join a workers' cooperative, but have to downgrade to cheaper accommodation due to the low wages this provides. Meanwhile, Monsters Incorporated outsource their scare production facilities to a poorer state in which trade unions do not exist. Through questionable business ethics, said corporation recoup their losses. Sully and Mike do not benefit from this resurgence however, but nonetheless find meaning to their lives by working as financial bloggers in their spare time. Fin.

Social Realism Inc. Love it.

interesting point Jayme. anyway, let's see TS3. There's only so much reversing roles in a story that you can have...

Zin5ki said:
They get impounded, and their manufacturers almost go bust. Fortunately, a government stimulus package saves the industry.
It'll most definitely be that or a World Racing Tournament.

Zin5ki said:

Make it happen, Pixar.

Jayme said:
Another interesting thing to note, in 2012, we shall get three computer animated 3D Pixar films, two in June and this in November. I hope it won't come to this on a year-to-year basis because that would be Pixar over-load. I figure they are just trying to get all the films out there before The End Of The World and all that.
Pretty sure Newt has been delayed without a new release date, if not outright cancelled. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go to a six month rotation, either, they can probably afford the staff to support given how efficient their production must be now.

Back