Del Ray Thread

Neferpitou

Stand User
I think they deserve an honourable mention as to me they have probably the best put together manga product on the market.

So far I only have 2 of their titles: Fairy Tail and Parasyte, but on the strength of those two volumes alone I will certainly pick up more in future from Del Ray.

Each volume contains a couple of page explaining the Honorific (I.e. San, sama, etc ) which is nice touch so they keep them intact while you understand what they still mean, I don't know why other English Manga translations.

At the end of the volume they include translations notes to understand all the references included in the Manga. A lot of references maybe common knowledge to average person brought up in japan but would go straight over people heads from anywhere else. So very nice touch so the translation doesn't need to change the dialogue for a western audience, again a feature which all English Manga should have.

A special mention has to go Parasyte. When they got this licenses off tokyopop they didn't just release it as normal. They released it in kanzenban edtion bigger than normal editions meaning 2 less volumes that need to purchase which is a nice gesture.

I only have one manga from Del Ray and it's Genshiken 1 but I'm sure I'll pick up the rest of the series one day and some of their other series too. Parasyte, Mushishi and Moyasimon looks interesting :)

I have Genshiken and Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei from them as the first titles which sprung to mind. Both have extremely detailed liner notes; they don't pick up every single gag but they catch a huge amount, which adds to the enjoyment. I'm happy with both titles and the way they have transitioned to English. When I read them I feel as though the staff working on the translation really loved the source material and were trying hard to carry the same appeal over to a new audience. Sort of the opposite feeling I get from reading certain other companies' titles nowadays.

R

The translation notes are one reason I prefer manga over anime for reference-heavy or culturally Japanese series. And Del-Ray's are very good.

But I have to wonder why nobody has read Love Roma. It's their best title (better than Genshiken for me) and one of the funniest romantic comedies ever. Seriously, people, listen to me, the paragon of good taste, and invest in this manga.

fabricatedlunatic said:
The translation notes are one reason I prefer manga over anime for reference-heavy or culturally Japanese series. And Del-Ray's are very good.

But I have to wonder why nobody has read Love Roma. It's their best title (better than Genshiken for me) and one of the funniest romantic comedies ever. Seriously, people, listen to me, the paragon of good taste, and invest in this manga.

I have read it. It is very good. Not sure if it is better than Genshiken, but it is certainly close.

I have all of Parasyte myself and 1-5 of Fairy Tail. Love their Parasyte releases, anything else worthy of being picked up by them?

@Lupus

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is well worth a look. It's a parody/satire type series thats pretty funny. The quality of the product is pretty gd too.

You know i had forgotten about Del Rey as a publisher till this thread :p

Only manga i have from them are the Gundam Seed adaption. I'll agree though the work they put into it was first rate with the extras (with having a short essay from Mark Simmons of MAHQ.com fame) there was some problems with translations. At the time i was going to get the Destiny adaption (till i saw the series that was and decided not to waste my money) then i just forgot about them under the waves of Viz and Tokyopop releases.

I have a LOT of Del Rey titles (Tsubasa, xxxHOLiC, Sugar Sugar Rune, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Faust, Me and the Devil Blues, Moyasimon, Nodame Cantabile, Genshiken... I think that's it). They are probably my favourite publisher thanks to their great translations, graphic design, the extras, and the fact they do publish a lot of josei and senien.

So, yeah, they'll get a lot of recs from me! And all the above titles are great as well.

Back