December 2006 UK anime DVD releases

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
All of December's UK anime DVD releases are listed below. Of course, if you are excited about some of these releases, feel free to drop by <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net">our community forums</a> and let us know what you think!<ul class="menu"><li><b>04 DECEMBER 2006</b></li><li>Burst Angel #6 (MVM)</li><li>Gestalt (MVM)</li><li>Get Backers #10 (ADV)</li><li>Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Limited Edition Complete 2nd GIG (Play.com Exclusive Tin Box Set) (Manga)</li><li>Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex Second GIG #7 (Manga)</li><li>Gundam Movies Box (Beez)</li><li>Otogi Zoshi #1 Gift Set (DVD & Book) (Manga)</li><li>Planetes #1 Double Pack (Beez)</li><li>Samurai Gun #2 (ADV)</li><li>Tenjho Tenge #4 (MVM)</li><li><b>11 DECEMBER 2006</b></li><li>My-Hime #3 (Beez)</li><li><b>18 DECEMBER 2006</b></li><li>Samurai 7 #5 (MVM)</li><li>Witch Hunter Robin Box Set 1/2 (Beez)</li><li>Witch Hunter Robin Box Set 2/2 (Beez)</li><li><b>26 DECEMBER 2006</b></li><li>Naruto Unleashed #2 (Manga)</li></ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/schedule.php">Read more...</a>

I still don't know why Manga chose to wait for the earliest time after Christmas to release Naruto. You'd think a lot of people would put it on their wish list.

It'll sell loads, regardless.

Espy said:
I still don't know why Manga chose to wait for the earliest time after Christmas to release Naruto. You'd think a lot of people would put it on their wish list.
Might have something to do with the american release being delayed and they aren't allowed to release the UK version before. Perhaps.

I'm really tempted to pick up the Planetes Double Pack but 'm worried that it might just be a one off and they won't release the rest of the series like that...

Manga delayed the release of Naruto pack 2 "out of consideration" (read: so as not to embarrass/annoy Viz US) to the US release.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I'm really tempted to pick up the Planetes Double Pack but 'm worried that it might just be a one off and they won't release the rest of the series like that...
I think that BEEZ are not planning to release more PlanetES sets. The title was selling fairly badly so they decided to try a special offer to kick start it. I do recommend it though; it is a fantastic series.

The only thing on that list I am after is the Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Limited Edition Complete 2nd GIG (Play.com Exclusive Tin Box Set) (Manga) and I believe this is one of my xmas presents

Gawyn said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
I think that BEEZ are not planning to release more PlanetES sets. The title was selling fairly badly so they decided to try a special offer to kick start it. I do recommend it though; it is a fantastic series.

The fact that its vol.6 didn't get a widespread release is a huge factor, and also the random shuffling of release dates. Even people who wanted to collect that series would eventually have gotten frustrated or imported the american releases.

Beez have been trying to get double volume releases working for a while now. Its admirable but they have failed in its execution more often than they have succeeded.

McIcy said:
The only thing on that list I am after is the Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Limited Edition Complete 2nd GIG (Play.com Exclusive Tin Box Set) (Manga) and I believe this is one of my xmas presents

Hehe. My copy is already on it's way acording to the e-mail I got from Play earlier. :D

And Burst Angel Disk 6 should also be coming my way pretty soon too. :p

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Espy said:
Might have something to do with the american release being delayed and they aren't allowed to release the UK version before. Perhaps.

Yeah, but the American version gets released on the 5th. There's still a lot of breathing space for a UK release before Christmas. Meh, it doesn't matter to me anyway.

That's it?? That's all we're getting??? :evil:

Even the expanded list makes for a pretty lame reading!! :evil:

Come-on guys, double that at least 8)

Zentron said:
That's it?? That's all we're getting??? :evil:

Even the expanded list makes for a pretty lame reading!! :evil:

Come-on guys, double that at least 8)
December is typically lean on the anime front. The big Christmas releases for mainstream film will largely overshadow anime and overall reduce sales so most companies avoid putting anything out over December. Also, the fact that people spend more money for Christmas also means that they have less to spend on anime, which isn't generally bought as a Christmas present.

December is one of the few times of the year that I spend a lot of money on Anime, especially with the sales at the end of it! (£400+ last Christmas!)

It is a unfortunate standing the Anime front has on Christmas, even with the mainstream stuff in the way, there won't be much of a problem selling a lot of titles, if the advertising was done right.(and I don't mean just TV advertising)

Zentron said:
December is one of the few times of the year that I spend a lot of money on Anime, especially with the sales at the end of it! (£400+ last Christmas!)

It is a unfortunate standing the Anime front has on Christmas, even with the mainstream stuff in the way, there won't be much of a problem selling a lot of titles, if the advertising was done right.(and I don't mean just TV advertising)
That isn't true of most people and given the short shelf-life of anime it is very probable that some may miss a particular volume that is released over Christmas. Simply put most people have more to spend money on over Christmas than anime alone. On top of that shelf space in most stores is devoted to other things, which often means that anime gets squeezed out a little over Christmas. To the anime companies it is those stores who are their direct customers and if they don't want to stock it so they can stock more of the latest blockbuster movie title or whatever then that is a potential loss that may not be easily made up.

Back