Crunchyroll Originals

I don't tend to be too keen on any of these 'anime-style' original shows, but as has been said, it always ends up happening when a platform is successful enough. The pushing of the diversity angle is unfortunate given the fanbase but I understand why they would try to do so in such a male-dominated hobby where it's hard for unknowns to break in. It would make more sense if people concentrated on the actual material, though.

In any case, I dislike the tone in some of these messages and will be heavily moderating any further discussion of real world politics and hostile use of 'SJW' as a slur, so please bear that in mind if you like your account♡

I do think more content written for women could help, sorry I really don't understand what a genre would be for gay people, it's like a niche of a niche. men and women are around 50% each on earth's population, so it's kind of easier to write with either of them in mind, gay people compared to everyone else, it's a poor balance, it's hard to write for when the writer likely won't have that experience or even if the writer is gay, they'd still want to target that broad audience

One interesting thing about people from non-majority demographics is that they don't tend to become accustomed to self-inserting in everything, so from what I've seen of thedoctor's taste it can be quite varied! Shows which fly outside of expectations are very much appreciated (and I think Yuri On Ice proved that nicely for this specific example) but content which isn't aggressively exclusionary is just as enjoyable as content actually catered towards a group. There are tons of titles which manage to cater to everyone, no matter what their gender or preferences, just by virtue of being well-written. And then there are tons which fail. This is a problem that has cropped up in the US - FUNimation reps have spoken at length at how targeting titles to the right audience is key, and some of the top sellers of their entire library are aimed outside the stereotypical 20-something straight male demographic. Manga in the UK have said they cannot cope with catering outside of their one core demographic at all. Meanwhile, in Japan they have entire shop chains catering purely to female anime fans, enormously successful female-orientated smash hits and people are complaining that women spend too much money on anime/manga, pushing male fans to the outside of the hobby through sheer financial power. When harnessed properly, the buying power of having a broader audience can be impressive.

(But I still don't think that this new show is going to appeal to me...)

R

Last edited:
I'm personally all for them doing it. Anything that might expand the space for western animation. If the shows interest me enough me enough then maybe people like myself to actually visit CR.

This particular show? Well that was a 'sneak peak' and not actually a trailer. The most original sounding concept? No but the execution is more important so I'll wait to see more.

And no, marketing 'diversity' doesn't sell me personally on something but its good when its there and I'm not about togo on tirade anytime it dare be mentioned.

Back